TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 with 727

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 with 727
    Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 9:24pm
I just purchased a 1974 401 with a 727 transmission attached. These came out of a 1974 IH 2 wheel drive truck sitting in a barn since 1981. Farm truck with 33,000 actual miles on it. 

The engine is stuck so I'm soaking it in marvel mystery oil to try to free it up. 

Trying to decide what to do with the transmission, with that low of miles on it I'm thinking of just changing the filter and fluids. I don't have a vehicle to put these in at this point, however the 68 Ambassador 343 engine and m11 transmission are being rebuilt and are out of it so other than needing a driveshaft I could test them out in it. 

what I'm wondering is if I can free up the engine should I start it and run it as is and test the transmission at the same time. 

It has a two barrel motor craft carb so id pull the intake and install an aluminum intake and four barrel carb so I could check lifters and cam at that point. Ill try to get a bore scope to look into the cylinders to check for rust and see valves.  
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2018 at 9:54pm
it's stuck for a reason rust on he cylinder or crank I would not start it until further inspection by taking it apart as for he tran its a shot that it could be fine to run fluid and filter is a good idea
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic