TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Can not accelerate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by dbomb dbomb wrote:

Yup those filters suck balls. Especially if the glass breaks or they unscrew and burn you down

yep, i saw my buddies camaro burn to the ground after one of those broke while he was driving.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 12:32pm
That's very strange.  I've used that type of filter on 3 cars and never had a problem.  15 years on my '56 Olds, 5 years on my '64 Classic and now 8 years on my '65 American.  Never broke and whenever the cartridge got dirty I just popped in a new one.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Smoke245 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke245 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 1:04pm
Well, I am not going to take any chances.  Guess I will change out.  Thanks for all the info.

Bill Lang
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 8:51am
Those glass filters are probably fine for most street cars. I've used them with no problems. A lot depends on how and where it's mounted, and serviced. Seals do eventually wear out, and if it's where it can hit something or has been dropped a couple times it can crack. 
Frank Swygert
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 9:05am
I personally would never use a glass ANYTHING under the hood.

Electric pump and a glass filter spells cremation...

Gremlin Dreams
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 10:01am
Maybe I came off too harsh. Leave it on if you wish. It was just a suggestion. But came off as a demand. Cause 30+ years ago I ran these filters. Always had issues with needles seats, stumbling, etc.

I ran into several other guys that had the same issues long before the internet. So that's saying something, cause you're only reaching a limited audience. They don't filter well enough, cause all of my and other guy's issues went away with the removal of that filter.

Some people do things and get away with it. Others don't.

If it works for you, great.

I'm surprised that Filter doesn't come as a package with this filter as well. Maybe it does, I haven't seen it tho. Anyways good luck with your troubles.

akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 10:21am
Those glass filters are pretty terrible. They flow just barely enough clean. As restrictive as they are, they don't even filter well enough to block harmful particles.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 7:45pm
Those bug eye filters look cool, but you are one back fire
away from cleaning melted foam from your carburetor (s)....

I know, I melted a few of them till I ended the nightmare.
Gremlin Dreams
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2018 at 4:15am
And after you've unblocked things, when it's idling properly, I'd check the fuel pressure again.
Unless your TSM says otherwise, I think you should only have 5psi going into the carb at idle.

I put one of these on my 327, filters and regulates all in one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/301246793818?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=58814348784&rlsatarget=pla-436440390874&abcId=1133916&adtype=pla&merchantid=6995734&poi=&googleloc=9041110&device=c&campaignid=1057745162&crdt=0

As I say, I'd leave it until it's running OK, one the blockage clears the pressure may reduce anyway.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic