TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ollie's 69 Rambler Sedan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 565758
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2022 at 8:19am
Hi Dave,
How you been? Long time no see.
I called Jim and yes that's the clutch pack that he had a special press for.
I have heard that to that the 727/904/998 are the easiest. 
I am glad yours worked out.

Got the trans well on the way. Got the bell housing and torque converter bolts in.
Now all the accessory stuff. Should be driving today.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2022 at 7:31am
Building an auto trans at home CAN be done, but you do have to get creative at times when special tools are required -- or make the purchase. There may be some that are impossible to build without special tools, I'd think, but can't say for sure. The old BW trannys are probably the easiest to rebuild at home. I rebuilt an M-35 with no issues. One trick is to put pack the sealing rings on the main shaft in Vaseline then wrap with a piece of metal and clamp down with a radiator hose clamp, and throw the shaft in the freezer for a few hours. This holds the rings compressed and makes them easier to insert without the risk of breaking one of the rings. The first one I built I did the hard way and carefully worked the rings in, That one had a valve body issue and I had to take it to a shop, who told me they'd have to tear it all down to make sure I didn't mess something up (which was understandable). They told me that I'd cracked one of the three sealing rings, but that wouldn't have made a difference. They later found that there was an obstruction or worn through passage in the VB that caused all kinds of issues -- cracked the original case from slamming one of the servos in gear when they finally got it working! Luckily they had a junked trans in the back they could salvage the case and VB from.
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2022 at 10:33am
April 9 will be a day that will live in infamy here at Ollie MotorSports !! This is the day that Road Warrior actually became a completed project. I rate this build as one of my best, it was supposed to be a culmination of all my "junk car" knowledge, but encountered some hiccups enroute to this day. 

I had 3 glaring issues to address: 1- The Head. The first head rebuild was a dud. It had bad valve guides and I finally found a shop in Florida that knew what he was doing. It took three times head off and on to get it right. On the way home from the AMO Show in CO I was burning a qt of oil very 200 miles.

Issue 2-The Transmission. The first rebuild was a dud. Pull the trans to replace a suspected bad rebuilt torque converter. Did not solve the problem. Nothing was wrong with the converter. The second pull was to replace the tailshaft bearing and rebuild the valve body with a Transgo Performance shift kit. This got the trans shifting better, but it soon developed a vibration. I believe the vibration was there all the time, getting worse, but the tailshaft bearing was making such a racket that it over rode the vibration issue. On our way home from the AMC Races in Cordova, IL I knew that would be his last trip until the trans issue was solved.

I went on my transmission runs, to IL and TX and acquired 2 transmissions and 1 valve body.

Out came the trans for the third time. It was decided to rebuild the St Louis trans. I met Mr. Jim a very knowledge man with 40 years of experience. We did a COMPLETE overhaul, master rebuild kit and bushings. Used the best of the hard parts of both transmissions. Used the performance valve body that I rebuilt.

My first ride was a success! It shifted so much smoother and the vibration was gone. I believe the original trans was in a bind all the time. When I let off the accelerator it coasts better. But, I was not satisfied with the way the trans shifted. I changed out the valve body to the Transgo stock kit that I had rebuilt. Wow, 100% satisfied !!!! The performance kit was actually to much for my 258. 

Issue 3 was a self generated problem. I went with a custom built Fatman Fabrications front clip. With such an extreme modification you can accept some issues. Had to replace the coil springs twice. Started with 550 lb springs, dropped to 500 lb and finally 450 lb and that's exactly where Road Warrior needed to be. I actually learned from Frank that the factory springs are pretty close to 450 lb. 

20,700 miles later.......Road Warrior is exactly where he should have been when all was done the first time !!!! All part of hot rodding........LOL  Believe it our not, Road Warrior actually chirps the tires on launch now! Just might have to get him on the track at the AMC Races for some fun passes. 

I now have total confidence in Road Warrior, I feel he has 100,000 miles in him and now is the time to go and wear him out !!!!  Next project in the distance future is to get the 4.0 head that I have on. I suspect that project will occur when the lower end needs attention. 

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2022 at 10:37am
Great news.Mad Max will be on the road again this season.Keep up the great work!
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2022 at 1:07pm
Fantastic news Ollie!!! 
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2022 at 8:01pm
Ollie... How's everything going? We haven't heard from you in a long time my friend. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 565758
  Share Topic