TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 287 intake and carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 7:05pm
Thanks guys
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 7:12pm
"the book" says timing is 5 degrees for 10 series and TDC for 80, with O.D. and so on.
I think I ran my 64 at about 5 if I recall........... but that was DECADES ago.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 6:38am
I know some aren't a fan of setting timing "by ear", but gasoline is so much different than what was available when these old cars were new that it's almost a necessity. So use 5 degrees BTDC as a starting point, but then fill up with the grade fuel you intend to run and go find a big hill at least 1/4 mile long. Not a mountain, just enough to cause the engine to work a little. Bump the timing "up" (idle speeds up a little) then hit the hill and listen for a spark knock. No knock -- go back down and bump up a little more. Heard a knock/rattle? Bump it back down a little. Repeat until you have advanced as much as you can without a knock/rattle. That's your ideal timing. Now if you do this on a cool day you might get a knock/rattle on a hot day and have to bump it down a little. You might want to get a light out and take note of where the timing is when done and record it for future use. Setting timing with a vac gauge might be close to the same results -- I've never used a vac gauge to set timing, just set by ear for best performance. With different gas formulations for different regions now you might need to bump the timing one way or another if traveling a long distance, go keep a wrench in the glove box. Of course you can just adjust your driving a little if just passing through.
Frank Swygert
AMC 550 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 8:46am
It was set on 18 btdc I have it set at ten right now
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 12:40pm
5* for regular gas, 8* for premium gas.

I've tried advancing it beyond that and noted no increase in power.

You can swap a 4bbl carb and intake onto it but I doubt you will notice much benefit  from your work aside from no longer having people at car shows point at your engine and make comments about how awful they think your carburetor is and why you should 4bbl swap it. 

Edited by FSJunkie - Mar/08/2018 at 12:49pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 5:47am
I noticed a huge economy increase switching to a 4 barrel. It's probably paid itself off already.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 6:02am
If you can keep your foot out of it a 4V usually will increase economy a bit. Only runs on half the carb most of the time. That is with the modest original carb -- which is only about 450 cfm, and just putting around. Most use a 600 cfm carb as it's more readily available. Half of that issn't much smaller than the original 2V, though you can't directly compare cfm ratings between 4V and 2V. A measurement of the throttle butterfly diameters will get you close though. 
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 6:30am
A 4bbl carburetor is measured by a different standard than a 2bbl.so don't go by the cfm ratings. I ran a 650 on a 304. If you go by the old and useless Holley chart that's too big. But the 304 ran fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic