TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Converted radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converted radio
    Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 11:02pm
Just got my 73 AMX AM/FM radio back from being converted to modern inners with RCA input jacks . (Vintage Auto Radio ) Problem is I can't find the orginial power wires. (brown / orange ) do they have there own harness or do they come from the underdash wiring harness? I've looked at wiring diagrams till my eyes bled, I can 't find it.

Edited by 68-73 amx - Mar/06/2018 at 8:56am
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 5:06am
Not sure about your 73, but my 69 AMX has the radio power and radio light wires attached directly on the radio. The long brown power wire goes directly to the fuse panel RADIO terminal and the shorter orange light wire has a male bullet that plugs into a nearby orange female connector that's part of the dash harness.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 7:26pm
Thanks, I believed your right ,even on a 73, going to check tomorrow.
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 9:11am
What I found was a short pigtail out of the main harness near the radio. Problem is it has 2 brown wires connected together and two orange wires connected together into a female factory connector with 2 terminal plug (one orange- one brown . New radio needs a wire for radio lite and one for power. Can somebody help explain how to wire this radio ?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 68-73 amx 68-73 amx wrote:

What I found was a short pigtail out of the main harness near the radio. Problem is it has 2 brown wires connected together and two orange wires connected together into a female factory connector with 2 terminal plug (one orange- one brown . New radio needs a wire for radio lite and one for power. Can somebody help explain how to wire this radio ?

Just did this a few months ago. I'm pretty sure brown is the radio power and orange is the dial light. Most likely grounds through the radio chassis, though I don't remember for sure on that.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 11:09am
I believe the brown wire is constant battery voltage supply for the radio. The orange is for the radio light and runs through the dimmer with the rest of the dash lights.
SC
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 11:21am
I thought there was a separate black ground wire also in the harness? This should be easy to check with an ohm meter.
If not I would certainly put one on from the radio chassis to a good ground and not just count on the mount screws. 
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 6:59pm
Also in the area of the radio are 2 black wires pluged into factory duel terminal . I'm thinking they have something to do with the factory underdash fader or speakers. Thanks for the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic