TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strut Rod Bushing Press Fit Tricks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut Rod Bushing Press Fit Tricks
    Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:00am
Anyone got a cheap and dirty trick to pressing in that 1 piece bushing into freshly powder coated or detailed bracket without screwing it up?  I have a few half thought out ideas but wondering what someone else found out along the way.

I don't have a shop press yet, so have to do it by hand.  I was thinking of protecting up surfaces of bracket, using a round tube on the small side with a small block of wood, and then a small block of wood on the largeer OD side and a C-clamp?
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:32am
Water and bar soap, just use It as a light paste around the bushing and twist slowly clamping down to start. Then slowly apply force, may have to use oversized sockets or cut pipe to allow a good sized C-clamp when compressing. The key is not to catch the edges cocked, and not to overly cause expansion by exerting too much pressure all at once. As in driving it in with a mallet.

Edited by 304-dude - Feb/26/2018 at 7:35am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:53am
I agree with soapy water - I use slippery dish detergent - it's safe and you simply rinse it off when done.

The other way is to send it to someone with a press  LOL

Slow and steady is also a key............ 
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 4:28pm
Bit of soapy water and once you get it started try to pull it through rather than push it. You shouldn't need a press or anything fancy to do it.
greasygt III View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 4:28pm
    I put my bushings in the freezer for about :30 mins..
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Bit of soapy water and once you get it started try to pull it through rather than push it. You shouldn't need a press or anything fancy to do it.

Just like a giant grommet, eh? Pull it through once started. 
Pulling stretches and thus thins it while pushing forces it to swell at the point it's going in. 
Geesh, I had forgotten that trick.
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 10:47pm
Thanks for the input.  Some good ideas to try.  Wouldn't have thought that freezing would help with rubber.  think I will try that in conjunction with soap and water.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
hffej View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hffej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 6:58pm
After struggling on my 69 AMX, I ended up spraying the bushing with Fluid Film lubricant I got at the local parts store. I could only get the bushing in about half way. I then took a 2” PCV pipe connector, which is about 1 1/2” long, put it on the back side on the bracket, and put a long bolt through it from a puller kit I have with the strut bushing washers on either end and just tightened it up. I was amazed how easy it pulled into position. Plus using the PCV doesn’t mark up the bracket.   I then did the other side with the same easy results.   
69 BBB AMX   69 BBO Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic