TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Air Shocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abshady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gremlin Air Shocks
    Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 3:58pm
I am looking for a rear set of air shocks to go on my 1973 Gremlin and all of the auto parts stores say there is none. Does anyone know if their are any that goes on it Thanks
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 4:18pm
Air shocks will break things...
I ended up welding up the lower shock mounts so they wouldn't break and then running air shocks, but then I ended up breaking the upper mounts and poking a hole through the body of the car.
If you need and really want a set look into something from early furd muttstang...  

Edited by BrotherBamc - Feb/26/2018 at 10:52am
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 5:05pm
The first question would be what are you trying to do? Lift, stiffness, ??

Gremmy Power!!!
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 6:18pm
Friend of mine had a Hornet Sportabout. Same story...no air shocks made for it. IIRC, he said he used a set for a '73 Mustang, even though they're longer than the stock shocks.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 6:33pm
71-82 caddliac ma739 napa number
abshady View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abshady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 8:33am
I am trying to lift the rear end up a little bit

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2018 at 3:52pm
I'm using Competition Engineering MOC2740 on the back of mine, not air shocks, but they also fit 65-70 Mustangs and Falcons.

https://www.enginemaster.com.au/competition-engineering-adj-rear-drag-shock-moc274

Mine is a 74 model.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:22am
The first thing I'd try is helper springs. There are short half leaf springs that bolt to the rear part of the leafs that stiffen them up a bit and should lift some, but not a whole lot. You can get full length helper springs that may lift more, but might be a bit too stiff. Rear shackles are an option also, but I always hated those things! Longer shackles in conjunction with the half-leaf helper springs would be a good choice. Taller shackles alone don't work well -- the rear part of the spring flattens out with the increased pressure requiring a pretty long shackle. Stiffening the spring back there means you can run with less height in the shackle, which is always better.

Another option is bolt-on air helper springs from Air-Lift. I'm pretty sure they no longer make a Gremlin or Hornet kit, but you can modify a mini pickup kit. These would be air springs that bolt to the rear axle and have a bracket that bolts to the sill ("frame rail") up top. You con't need an on-board compressor, just run a line where you can get to the valves, check the air pressure occasionally like you do your tires. This is really the best option, much better than air shocks.

Edited by farna - Feb/26/2018 at 7:25am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic