TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

wagoneer help please!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryder6330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wagoneer help please!!
    Posted: Mar/10/2009 at 12:35am
Hey guys

I was looking at buying a 83 Cherokee(wagoneer to you guys - cherokee here in australia)

I was just after some help in terms of things to look for.
It is completely stock. I have not looked at it, but i know it has a Dana 20 rear, and part time 4wd. Its a 360 V8, backed by the 727 auto.
Its in good condition, no rust, and has travelled a reportedly original 74000ks(45000 miles).

Are there any problem areas, I have heard some Jeeps have vacuum disconnects etc etc.

Thanks for any help guys.

Apart from my Wrangler I have not had a Jeep before but know my way around AMCs quite well

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2009 at 1:16am
There's a knowledgable crowd of Jeeps folks over at www.bulltear.com forums that may have info.
Not trying to say you're not welcomed here, just that there is a lot of Jeep info over there.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Mar/10/2009 at 1:17am
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2009 at 9:03am

Also go to www.ifsja.org . They are a Full Size Jeep only forum.

An 83 will have a Dana 44 front axle and a AMC Model 20 rear axle. The motor and tranny is what you said. The t-case will either be a NP229 or an NP208. I think '83 and '84 were the only years to have the vacuum disconnect front axle. The best thing to do on the Wagon your looking at is to drive it.

1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
ChevelleSSLS6 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChevelleSSLS6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2009 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

There's a knowledgable crowd of Jeeps folks over at www.bulltear.com forums that may have info.
Not trying to say you're not welcomed here, just that there is a lot of Jeep info over there.

You'll find a lot of engine tech here... and more (amc 20 rear was used in amc cars also, so guys here can offer help with those and likely a lot more).
1996 Jeep XJ 4.0 3 1/2" lift, mild mods
1974 AMC Javelin 360 4sp
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900
kensamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kensamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2009 at 12:38am
  Wagoneers suffered a lot from AMC-information- neglect syndrome.
 I own an 86 with a honey interior, that by all accounts so should have been available for only 2 years, but I find them in GW's from earlier years... I have a 360, 727,208 (even though most lists say 229) a 20 rear end with SO 3.31 gears and a Dana 35 front end.....and vacuum disconnect?!

With an 83, you have all "early" FSJ bits ... including dash, instrument cluster, etc.... My 86 is a bastard year betwen AMC and Chrysler and I am finding some switches , etc were for that year only, making them hard to find....

If it has really only 45,000 miles, I say buy it. My FSJ is my daily driver with 138,000 miles on it.
All original survivor. Great truck.
 The emissions system is complicated and not everyone loves the FoMoCO carburetor, but the truck will haul and run ...
 Waggy-sag describes their propensity for wearing out leaf springs.
The 360 will use some oil ... never a drop on the ground, but I use 1.5 quarts a month religiously...

Almost all of the vacuum bits, with regard to the 4wd operation are still obtainable, in the event of dry rot or abuse, but all of mine still work, all original, 23 years after she rolled out of Toledo.

Do check the IFSJA
Saul there has been in the news for his restoration and preservation of Wagoneers.
And for an idea of  how much some folks will pay for these things, check out
 Have heard good and bad about his work, but the trucks are very nice to look at.....
1986 Jeep Corp Grand Wagoneer

Artisan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2009 at 4:18am
If everything works, fine, but realize you NEED to start replacing vacuum lines and this and that if you want it to last. Be sure to smell the tranny fluid, if it smells burnt knock the price of a new trans off it, and look at the oil, it better not have foam or RUN. be SURE to take it on the Freeway and HEAT IT UP, then SHUT IT OFF and make sure she holds water. Put it in 4x and TEST IT as well. Try EVERYTHING!
Regards,
Artisan
AMC instigator View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2009 at 10:15am
They are good rigs overall, if now oil is in the air cleaner housing, it is in great shape motorwise, if a pool is there then not so good. These are VERY durable rigs wether they have a 208 or a229 t-case. All the 727 and 360 setups are very good. The axles are plenty strong. So thumbs up on it from me. I have owen many FSJ's the real problem for us is the poor widow defrosting and rust. The air lines for the axles are no big deal, a very simple system I might add. SH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic