TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 American Control arm Bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 59 American Control arm Bushings
    Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 8:15am
I seldom go cheap and worry about price but damn the bushings I have found would cost me $220 and I need to at least look a little for cheaper ones. Do you guys have any sources for these bushings that are a little better priced?

Upper and lower, I am thinking I may just put the used control arms I have which have pretty decent bushings in them but at this age they could fail at any time like the ones in the car I have to assume and I hate to waste my time.

The prices I got were from Gavlins.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 9:34pm
i've been posting on and off for about a year about early american bushings. yup,t hat's what they cost, and i wont buy old (new, but old) rubber. someone told me that the ones that some AMC suppliers are selling now, are new NEW, but i'm skeptical.

new in the box, but made in the 80's, is still 30+ years old and i wont install them in my car regardless of price.

the good news is that i'm currently driving on bushings that i made, inexpensively, from soft polyurethane bushings from RideTech. the assembly process is minorly intricate but i put together a detailed assembly process for them, on this overly-long page here on my website:

http://sr-ix.com/AMC/1961-Rambler-Roadster/front-suspension/index.html

about halfway down.

though i made a jig and used a flycutter on my mill-drill, you could make the necessary cuts with a hacksaw. i'd jam them into the end of a 5/8" dowel or rod to support them then cut.

harder to fabricate is the thin spacer necessary to fill in behind the cupped washers. but all you need is any thing material that's hard (aluminum, ABS or similar plastic), some hole saws and a small drill press (for this i used my ancient tiny Delta drill press).

i think these are better than OEM-replacements, in that the particular poly is a great "hardness" for this, fairly soft for poly, and shouldn't rot. they shouldn't squeak either given the tensions.

$2 each, you need 16 for the whole car.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 10:22pm
There do appear to be new ones on the market. Look carefully and I think you'll do fine!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
MARTINSR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARTINSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

i've been posting on and off for about a year about early american bushings. yup,t hat's what they cost, and i wont buy old (new, but old) rubber. someone told me that the ones that some AMC suppliers are selling now, are new NEW, but i'm skeptical.

new in the box, but made in the 80's, is still 30+ years old and i wont install them in my car regardless of price.

the good news is that i'm currently driving on bushings that i made, inexpensively, from soft polyurethane bushings from RideTech. the assembly process is minorly intricate but i put together a detailed assembly process for them, on this overly-long page here on my website:

http://sr-ix.com/AMC/1961-Rambler-Roadster/front-suspension/index.html

about halfway down.

though i made a jig and used a flycutter on my mill-drill, you could make the necessary cuts with a hacksaw. i'd jam them into the end of a 5/8" dowel or rod to support them then cut.

harder to fabricate is the thin spacer necessary to fill in behind the cupped washers. but all you need is any thing material that's hard (aluminum, ABS or similar plastic), some hole saws and a small drill press (for this i used my ancient tiny Delta drill press).

i think these are better than OEM-replacements, in that the particular poly is a great "hardness" for this, fairly soft for poly, and shouldn't rot. they shouldn't squeak either given the tensions.

$2 each, you need 16 for the whole car.

DAMN that's a great link, you did one awesome job on the work in the shop and the work on the computer putting it together, awesome and thanks so much.

I did use the same sort of bushings on the idler arm and they have performed well for me.

Brian
1959 Rambler American daily driver. And I mean EVERY SINGLE day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic