TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aadams90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headers
    Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 11:50pm
I have a 70 amx and will be getting a 401 once the Shop is done with it and looking into headers. Looking for soemthing that fits without having to smash pipes or cut flanges if I dnt have to. I see American racing headers jaut started making a sure fit but are 1700 bucks. What’s everyone suggestions. Was looking at the Hooker comps as well but see some have had issue with Fitment and hanging low
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 9:26am
Quality headers are always $$$$.

The next best thing is the Doug's D103 headers. These almost fit correctly, they only require modifications to the engine mount bracket to clear everything. However, if you have a 727 automatic or Edelbrock heads you will have clearance problems with them.

I have heard good reports about the Hedman 98310 and the Patriot H8600. I just have no experience with them personally.

I have had the Hooker Super Comps, they hang very low and don't fit without smashing pipes.

one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Aadams90 Aadams90 wrote:

I have a 70 amx and will be getting a 401 once the Shop is done with it and looking into headers. Looking for soemthing that fits without having to smash pipes or cut flanges if I dnt have to. I see American racing headers jaut started making a sure fit but are 1700 bucks. What’s everyone suggestions. Was looking at the Hooker comps as well but see some have had issue with Fitment and hanging low
Theres Hooker Comp.and Super Comp.   The Hooker Comp`s fit nicely but a square port...I just put a set in the Concord project but i added weld to the flange and pipe and then reshaped them for dog leg ports...Down the road with the bigger engine i will also be looking for a larger tube header....1,700 buck`s sounds about right we paid that 10 years ago for a set of Kook`s headers when they were down the road from American header...You get what you pay for
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2018 at 5:42pm
I have a 401 in my 1970 AMX with the T10 and it runs Hedman Ceramic coated. They were on the car when I bought it but I do not see where there were any fitment issues. The clutch adjusting rod is very close to one tube but clears it by maybe a 1/8" on mine. Mine also came with a Powerhouse starter so not sure if they will work with an OEM starter.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic