TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Radiators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2018 at 11:52pm
$300 is a bit rich for my blood right now, so the CJ aluminum radiator that they sell for about $100 should work on my '82? I just need to be sure upper outlet is more towards the middle than the early cars so the hose will not touch the AC belt.

1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 7:28am
It's not just a bolt-in, You may have to drill holes in the side flanges and/or use spacers to get the radiator placed right. I had to do some manipulating to get the 74 SJ radiator in mine, but it's a bit taller than a car/CJ radiator. I don't know about the uppser hose connection on the CJ -- you'll have to check. The SJ upper hose is about an inch to the right -- where you don't want it -- but CJ is very different and may be just where you need it.

Here's a link to what I did:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/fsj-jeep-radiator-in-rambler_topic76414.html
I used the same hoses I had for the Rambler radiator.
Frank Swygert
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 12:53pm
Some more questions, For some reason, the radiators for the Javelins are available and reasonably priced, the only difference being the location of the upper hose inlet. If I bought the new Javelin radiator and had a shop put the upper section from my Eagle radiator on it, would that get me the new radiator?
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2018 at 7:12am
It should, as I believe the core is the same. But it really depends on the manufacturer of the radiator. There may be a slight difference due to the different manufacturers. Sholdn't be hard to either find a hose that will work (there are custom hose kits... silicone or rubber elbows with lengths of solid tubing) or have a shop mover the inlet on the new tank. 
Frank Swygert
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2018 at 3:40pm
Has anyone replaced a radiator on a '59 Super?  If so, I'd be interested to know what you got and maybe your source.
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic