TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Jav window mechanisms in 70 doors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71-74 Jav window mechanisms in 70 doors
    Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 10:07am
Is it possible to install 71-74 window hardware in 1970 doors? Would1970 glass need to be installed too? It would be nice to get rid of the wobble in the 1970 Javelin/AMX windows.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:36pm
They are quite different - it's simply not worth the fabrication and effort IMO.
The early systems as with 1970 are far easier to get the "wobble" out of. In fact I can't say I've ever had an early Javelin wobble unless something was broken or wrong. They are pretty solid unless the glass comes loose in the piece that it's glued into. 
I actually wish the 73 had a better system that it has.......
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

They are quite different - it's simply not worth the fabrication and effort IMO.
The early systems as with 1970 are far easier to get the "wobble" out of. In fact I can't say I've ever had an early Javelin wobble unless something was broken or wrong. They are pretty solid unless the glass comes loose in the piece that it's glued into. 
I actually wish the 73 had a better system that it has.......

Billd, i had a 73 and did not have wobble, though it only had 10 years and 70K miles on the car.

You may get the kit yourself if inclined, or change to 71 assembly. My 71 has about 40 years and 150K on the car, and the windows roll even better than the 73, for ease of cranking. It may be from the 71 has 2x the pads of later doors.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 1:40pm
He was asking about putting the 73 guts into a 1970 - they are different animals.
I was saying that it's not only not worth putting the later style into the earlier cars, it's not needed. The later cars had their own set of troubles, so it would be trading one problem for another. AMC really cheapened up the windows in the later Javelins. They balanced the glass on a post. Ugh.

My 73 has bad wobble because the car was poorly taken care of and the PO didn't give a rat's hind end. The windows are a mess - missing and broken parts. They wobble because of the nylon pieces being GONE. Plus it sat for who knows how many decades, and has 100,000 miles on it. 
(when I'm done you'll never know, though.......)

On the other hand, other than the glass coming loose in my 70 I have not had troubles with that style of window mechanism. IMO they (the 1970 types) are better than the later cars were. They simply made them cheaper in later years, simple and cheap.

Have no idea what kit you are referring to but if you mean those outrageously priced bars some choose to put  into the 1970 doors to "solve" window issues - no way in bloody #@% would I put one of those in. They are not necessary if all else is correct. It's a bar and screws, good grief, you can buy the stock at Menards for under ten bucks and perhaps two bucks for screws and get a drill and bits and have at it. 
I hope that's not the "kit" you refer to. They are for those who won't spend the time to make things right in their doors. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

He was asking about putting the 73 guts into a 1970 - they are different animals.
I was saying that it's not only not worth putting the later style into the earlier cars, it's not needed. The later cars had their own set of troubles, so it would be trading one problem for another. AMC really cheapened up the windows in the later Javelins. They balanced the glass on a post. Ugh.

My 73 has bad wobble because the car was poorly taken care of and the PO didn't give a rat's hind end. The windows are a mess - missing and broken parts. They wobble because of the nylon pieces being GONE. Plus it sat for who knows how many decades, and has 100,000 miles on it. 
(when I'm done you'll never know, though.......)

On the other hand, other than the glass coming loose in my 70 I have not had troubles with that style of window mechanism. IMO they (the 1970 types) are better than the later cars were. They simply made them cheaper in later years, simple and cheap.

Have no idea what kit you are referring to but if you mean those outrageously priced bars some choose to put  into the 1970 doors to "solve" window issues - no way in bloody #@% would I put one of those in. They are not necessary if all else is correct. It's a bar and screws, good grief, you can buy the stock at Menards for under ten bucks and perhaps two bucks for screws and get a drill and bits and have at it. 
I hope that's not the "kit" you refer to. They are for those who won't spend the time to make things right in their doors. 

Billd, I directed my comments to you, and was talking about sceneone's kit he just recently introduced for 72 on up Javelins. If he would throw in extra pads for the kit, then 71 would be covered.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 3:16pm
Well THAT "kit" is a GREAT thing - well thought-out, tested, prototyped, etc and not only replaces the originals to make the window work as intended but make it even better without a design change.
Those are a case of someone taking the original piece and improving it - or at least offering something you can't easily get elsewhere.
In my opinion he can make as many as he cares to and sell the heck out of them - every owner of a late Javelin/Javelin-AMX should get a set - just in case. 

My car not only has worn window pieces, it has missing window pieces. The parts just didn't stand up to the test of time and apparently my car ain't the only one! Look at those responses! WOW
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 3:40pm
Well the windows in the White70 don't really wobble that badly,

What they do is pop open at speed if the window hasn't been tightly shut prior to getting up to speed and once at speed the wiondows will not rollup into the rubber seals but stay pushed out.

OK, then it has to be an adjustment problem which the car's windows have needed for sometime.

Thanks everyone.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Well the windows in the White70 don't really wobble that badly,

What they do is pop open at speed if the window hasn't been tightly shut prior to getting up to speed and once at speed the wiondows will not rollup into the rubber seals but stay pushed out.

OK, then it has to be an adjustment problem which the car's windows have needed for sometime.

Thanks everyone.

That's part of the standard flow-thru ventilation, lol.

Seriously, I have both a '72 and a '69, and the '72 window performance is far superior.  I can't tell you how many hours I've spent re-gluing and readjusting the glass on the '69, and it still pops out slightly at speed.  I've even added some "bumpers" at the belt-line inside the door to help press the glass in, and it's only helped marginally. I think part of the problem is that the repop weatherstripping doesn't have as deep a groove as the original, but no doubt the pre -71 window mechanism is just a poor design. 

I had a set of '71 doors here at one point and thought about changing the glass over to my '69, but decided it wasn't possible.  In my case the doors were from a Javelin and my '69 is an AMX (which has different glass) so that would have made it a very big job.

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2018 at 7:01pm
Regarding "loose" in and out movement of the front window glass of the 68 through 70 cars. I've found that the beveled, white nylon guide rollers develop flat spots and the wave washer between the inner and outer loses it's "wave". This allows excessive in and out play in the glass. Does anyone make replacements for these rollers and washers ?

Just as a matter of note that when the hinge bushings wear the door drops down at the back. This causes undue pressure on the top rear of the door glass as the glass begins to push against or overlap the back quarter glass leading edge. I'm sure this is primarily responsible for the glass braking loose from the retaining brackets. When the bushings get worse the lower part of the inner door structure starts hitting the aluminum door sill threshold molding flattening the edges down.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic