TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1963 amc steering wheel help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil-red-63-amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1963 amc steering wheel help?
    Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 3:09pm
hello all, I just bought a 1963 amc rambler and I'm in need of a different steering wheel a lil smaller maybe 13 - 14" would be better for me.. I'm a big guy 6-4" and the stock one makes it very tight for me... ive looked a lil around the web but no luck finding anything for my car... anyone know  what I would need to replace with after market one...  thanks for taking time to read my post... and ill post pics of the car asap it covered in snow right now...Wink
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 3:15pm
If he still has his factory column, I think Tom Jennings (TomJ on the forum) can help you out.  He posts usually at night.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
lil-red-63-amc View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil-red-63-amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 3:18pm
thanks.. I hope he can...  
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 6:20pm
Two things: do you have a '63 American or a Classic?  Also, if you don't have power steering a 13" steering wheel will be difficult to turn,  Those wheels were big to provide leverage. 
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil-red-63-amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 7:28pm
its a 63 classic so its a non-power steering car... I just measured the stock is 17" so maybe a 13-15" would to ok...   
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 11:32pm
yeah, we messaged earlier, but here's the link i have:

http://sr-ix.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Steering-column/

i'm using the same wheel and adapter on my '61 american, so the spline is the same as 63 classic. 

it's 15".

you might want to to mock it up (or use your fingers) to see if the 15" wheel will obscure your gauges too much. it annoyed me on my 63 classic, but YMMV, especially your height, size, seat, etc.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil-red-63-amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 5:23am
hello all, Ive got a lot of help from grant products and they are sending me part#3294 that has 3 different adapters that is suppose to fit my 63 amc with the 40 spline shaft, ill take pics and let everyone know how it works...
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2018 at 6:26am
Originally posted by lil-red-63-amc lil-red-63-amc wrote:

hello all, Ive got a lot of help from grant products and they are sending me part#3294 that has 3 different adapters that is suppose to fit my 63 amc with the 40 spline shaft, ill take pics and let everyone know how it works...

That's good news.  I believe Grant was bought by another company but still uses the Grant name.  They were NO help to me when I wanted to replace the wheel on my '65 American two years ago.  I guess their customer service has improved.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic