TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 Javelin Bell Crank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Javelin Bell Crank
    Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 1:58am
I have a big bad blue 69 Javelin with a 390.  When I had shipped from Colorado to Calif. I found many problems.  Current:  I have rebuilt the engine, and have it back in, clutch and trans  in (T-10).   Headers in.  Now I am hooking up clutch linkage.  My problem is that this set up was mickey moused so the diagram I have to go by is the TSM.  When taking the linkage out there was a large seven inch spring going from the tab on the throw out lever to the strut rod bracket and attached by a looping wire.
I have reviewed what I can find here and none of the photos are like mine.  The photos here have the pivots on the bell crank.  Mine has the outer pivot attached to the strut rod bracket with inner and outer retainers, clip on the outer retainer and then boot.
I can not seem to recall how this is to be set.  I had a Javelin in my youth 45 years ago.  I thought the linkage with retainer would pop onto the ball of the pivot and then attached to the bell housing on the inner side of the bell crank.  However the bushing just pushes into the barrel of the bell crank.  Please tell me if I have the following set up right.  
1)  Put the boot on the inner pivot (which is on the strut rod bracket pointing in towards engine), then the teflon retainer (cup like), then the bell crank and then the clip (U clip supposedly holding pivot inside barrel of bellcrank) and then attach the other side of bell crank to the bell housing with the two bolts and bracket (pivot and retainer already assembled).    And 

2)  Where do the springs on the assembly go?  My TSM does not show spring locations.  The ones on this site do not make sense in relation to what I see.  One going from the throw out rod arm to the inner pivot bracket?  I ordered and received a spring.  Does it go from the hole in the tab on the throw out arm to the bell housing (hole partially obscured by inspection plate)? linkage mounting bracket?  or is it only intended to put pressure to hold rod into fork and so hook to opposite end of the lever rod.  Any other springs on this set up? Is the spring to also apply return pressure?
Any photos would help.  I appreciate all input.  Sorry for the long explanation but seems necessary as I really do not know what has been put on this car.  Heads from a 1970, Wiper motor from a hornet etc.  Thanks again.  Mark
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 5:36pm
I am not familiar with your description and think your setup is cobbled.
If you follow this link, this is what is in mine;

http://theamcforum.com/forum/uploads/2420/Bellcrank_spring.jpg
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 5:50pm
could you take a picture of what you have now. the description sounds like a 72 gremlin set up that i have now.
5150Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 9:24pm
Thanks for your response Lyle.  I have a photo of the set up that my car has in the TSM.  I can not seem to copy it here.  I see no method to add photo or file.  I am a dinosaur when it comes to computers/forums etc.  
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 10:24pm
I can not seem to download a photo of the TSM diagram as when I click on "insert image" It comes up saying server image.  Here is my email, if you do not mind send me a hello and I will send an email back to you with the image  Maybe you could post it for others.
Thank You.       mark_keller2000@yahoo.com  
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2018 at 1:16am
Never mind.  I pretty much reversed engineered the linkage and found the springs were wrong and the way the retainer was in was wrong.  I have it installed, it aligns well and has good response.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic