TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Any good way to get paint off turbo cast rims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any good way to get paint off turbo cast rims
    Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 11:27am
I know I could get them media blasted. But I'm looking for more of a diy type of answer. I've tried aircraft stripper, all the typical strippers, simple green, and brake and trans fluid. The only thing that Partially worked was the aircraft stripper. But it just barely softened it up. I didn't think anything could stand up to that caustic stuff.

Any help would be great. I'll media blast them if I have to. I just have to save for it. And I'm worried that what ever media will take off this Paint will damage the aluminum.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2018 at 11:28am
Walnut Shells is what I use.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 1:31pm
Acetone?
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 1:54pm
Powder coating stripper?
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2018 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

Powder coating stripper?

Be careful with powder coating stripper, it's not like double strength paint stripper. Some of the most effective products have hydrofluoric acid, which is beyond sinister - not just corrosive but super poisonous.
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 12:52am
Ive found using paint stripper after applying cover with plastic so it dont dry as fast.
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 11:06am
I used aircraft stripper and a pressure washer. I am going to tell you that it was nothing but a big P.I.T.A. but it is doable. It may take you a couple of times to get most of the paint off and what paint that is left may have to be scraped off by hand.
I will tell you that I don't know what kind of paint AMC used on their wheels, but that's some really tough stuff..!!! 

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
restopat View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote restopat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 4:58pm
I find that aircraft stripper works best when you apply the stuff, then cover it in a garbage bag.  Then use a plastic scraper to get the paint off.  Rinse and repeat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic