TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Dash Pad Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 9:34am
Exactly, the back edge is rolled up. Other than that the piece is in good shape. What is that a two part epoxy? Where do you get it?
kracex View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kracex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 9:53am
Plastifix it's not epoxy, I get it online and use it on dashes, grills,and anything plastic. I've seen similar product at Orielys auto or Autozone.
69 amx racecar
70 amx BBG S.Mask
70 amx
73 gremlin
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 1:33pm
The vinyl will move with hot - near boiling water. You can use an electric heat gun but have to be extremely careful. I personally prefer the hot water, even on the interior ABS panels.
Heat it, move and clamp it, glue and clamp it after.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:05am
Heat it with a hair dryer as you go. Use small clamps or vice grips and put blocks of wood, something like sections of paint stirrers, on the top surface to spread the force out and not mar the vinyl. You can use wax paper under the wood so as not to glue it in place. Crazy glue type adhesives work well, it essentially welds the vinyl to the plastic.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 7:58am
Steve is spot-on. I cut custom strips of wood with slight tapers so that the clamping force is exerted more evenly otherwise unless the wood is thick you still concentrate force in the middle.
As a wood worker there's ways to clamp evenly and we use curved and tapered strips to ensure that even WOOD we are gluing together is pressed on evenly. Honestly, glue even 3/4" plywood and you can see the force of the clamp is greatest at the point of the clamp and the wood has a slight bow to it as you move away from the clamp.
Granted, before anyone gets excited, that's using far more force, but the point is the same - clamp EVENLY and be clever about spreading the clamping force or you have WAVES.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 8:25am
Just remember, you'll never get it perfectly flat. Even NOS crash pads have a slight curl to them..
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2018 at 12:15pm
He's right, I have a NOS one and it indeed has a curl to it.  
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2018 at 10:11am
When I think back on it, the dash pad rear edge on  many makes had a bit of an upturn to it back in the day. Mine has turned up significantly though and separated. I appreciate all of the tips and recommendations. I may try to reglue this thing myself. I am once again way behind on this winters work on the car. The trouble I had with the drive train grinding in the fall has pretty much held up everything I wanted to do over the winter. My car has been in a shop for 4 weeks now.... and counting...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic