TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'71 AMX Roof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizKid12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '71 AMX Roof
    Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 11:56pm
Working on dad's '71 Javelin AMX and the roof appears to be compromised past the point of repair. It's rotted out along the base above the windows. I'm an AMC restoration novice, so what would be the proper steps to fix/replace the roof? Thanks!
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 4:50am
A roof panel replacement would most likely be your best bet. 

On the other hand, where is the roof rust, just above the rear window? Side window? Windshield?  The location of the rust and extent would be the deciding factor(s) on either the replacement or repair.  Also the experience and talent of the person performing the work is critical. If a body tech with rust experience can complete the repair(s) the cost may be cheaper than finding a roof replacement and the work to perform the repair. 
My recommendation to many folks is to pay a pro for the really difficult repairs and perform your own repairs otherwise. Almost anything is repairable with either time, money or practice. With that said, you can complete your own repair(s) with practice. If you mess something up, you can remove it and redo it again. 
I finished up a 66 Charger a few years ago in which the 70% of the metal around the rear window was rusted (up to 4 inches around the glass). The rear window sill (panel between the rear glass and trunk was completely rotted away with a improper installed prior metal patch that was riveted on and covered with bondo) along with the complete pinch-weld area that holds the rubber gasket for the rear glass was completely hand made and installed with several window trail fits to guarantee the repairs were correct.  The reason all the metal work was made from scratch on the 66 Charger, I could "not" locate a replacement panel anywhere for this customer. We searched the internet, forums and junk yards, but sometimes a car is rare enough that finding good parts, simply may not exist. So, you make the parts from scratch.  
Bottom line, almost anything can be repaired, the method is up to your parts availability, money, time and experience level of the person completing the repairs.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 9:05pm
i'm going to have to do this to my javelin. it had a vinyl top. when i peeled off, half the roof came with it. lol. luckily i had a parts car that was to far gone, and i had to cut it up so i could save the good panels. one was the roof. so i'm drilling out the spot welds on both and am going to weld in the new skin in to the good car. so that is always an option.
jason View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 2:22am
I know this post is old.
Did you get around to replacing the roof, if so, how did it go.
And where are the spot welds for the roof.
WizKid12 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizKid12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 3:02am
I found a roof on eBay. I live in California and had the roof shipped from Michigan. The roof had surface rust. I personally sanded and primed the roof. Currently, it sits in my garage. My buddy, who has been a mechanic for decades and even worked on navy jets, recommended a welder that said he could put the roof on the car for 2 grand. So, I'm waiting until I can justify 2 grand for an old car =/
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 9:11am
$2k sounds high. Where are you in Calif?
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 11:45am
Yes. That's a lot. Granted you have to take some of the interior out and pull the glass. Nothing that couldn't be pulled easily in a day. Getting the old roof off. Cleaning the edges of the replacement roof and welding it in. A day. I would think 4 days at the most. And that is slow. Is it worth $500 a day? Or $2000 for one day if you can do the rest of the work.
WizKid12 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WizKid12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 11:50am
East Bay, just south of Oakland. I'm new to the hot rod world so I don't have many connections. The roof I bought includes the A-pillars and the front cowl panel. I'm not too sure about all the labor details. It was my dad's car and he had 3 others, as well as a house full of stuff. Got a lot on my hands.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic