TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replacing AMC 304 with AMC 360 in 78 Pacer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 10:55am
Ask cadipacer...he did this years ago.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 8:03pm
AMC balanced the flexplate, not the converter like Mopar. As long as the engine has the 727 flexplate it will bolt right up and there are no balance problems. One thing to note is Jeep stuff used a TH400 tranny in the 70's and it takes a different flexplate and there is a very thin spacer for the TH style converter pilot. That stuff does not fit. Pretty sure it was 1980 and later the Jeeps went to the TF727, and that is the one is a bolt up to your 998.

I much prefer the 998 and consider it a much better tranny than the 727. The big drum in the 727 makes it a poor performance piece unless you spend a bunch of money. A 998 is a great tranny, and is easily and cheaply upgradable to 999 specs. A real nice plan for a 360.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2018 at 11:00am
Boycot the "Unfortunate History of AMC Pacer" video on YouTube because AM Pacer was rather a smash hit success for AMC (the title of the video is new misinformation) eg: AM nearly made and sold as many Pacers in it's first year as the total Javelin production number from '68 to '74! (but Javelin is considered to be 'successful'/not 'unfortunate') Moreover, where Pacer was AMC's last all new car ever made, it is important to note AMC sold more Jeeps than cars in '77 so it would have been stupid (irresponsible to AM stockholders) not to transform the corporate image into Jeep Eagle instead. (nine more years Jeep would release very successful XJ Cherokee and AM General would release the very successful '85 Humvee)

Even if we ignore Pacer's very impressive first year production numbers (by AMC's standards anyway) Porsche even admitted copying Pacer's styling for their 928! ...nothing unfortunate there either.

IMO, the GM wankel engine was always a publicity stunt for Pacer and never was anything more; AMC used 'the gossip factor' wisely! and GM wrote off all the US Fed funded $ from their wankel R&D project cost off their taxes! (how's that for 'pork barrel politics'?)

The AM Pacer is related to AM's '66 AMX Project IV cars by reason of making practical what non-symmetrical '71-'74 Javelin styling made use of -compared and contrasted to '66 Cavalier all symmetrical styling exercise. -where Javelin's non-symmetrical inner door panels translated into a more practical/useful combination of unequal length doors instead (albeit with non-symmetrical interior panels like '71-'74 Javy all over again of course) -how to say it right...

AMCers must continuously stand up against the mainstream fallacies fabricated by creative writers posing themselves as 'real' automotive historians.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming the 360 is in good running condition, you will 'feel' a big difference from the 304.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always try to keep the original harmonic balancer and flexiplate that came with the engine from the factory -because they were 'final balanced' on a fully assembled engine ...and there was variation among rod weights due to 'fast build'/high speed assembly line construction methods.

-the harmonic balancers are most important; where the 'finish balance' holes were drilled... but they can be interchanged from 304 to 304 or 360 to 360 but this 'rolling the dice' because the different rotating weights amongst the engines could be closer or further away from the rotating weight inside your particular engine (AM TSMs tell it better than I do when discussing the service replacement harmonic balancers for these externally balanced engines) 
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
mantonas View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mantonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 11:54am
Okay, please don't call me out for being too lazy to check this for myself, but I figure others have done it so they already know. Can I put my 360 engine on an engine stand without removing the flex plate? I was planning on buying this one from harbor freight:

https://m.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-stand-69886.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

but if it wont fit maybe there's a different one i can buy.
1972 AMC Javelin SST
1973 AMC Ambassador 401
1975 AMC Pacer D/L
1976 AMC Pacer X
1976 AMC Matador sedan
1978 AMC Pacer V8 coupe
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
steinercj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinercj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 1:36pm
Yes it will fit with the flex plate on and its a fairly sturdy stand.The only issue I had was removing the crankshaft with flex plate and rear engine plate still attached. The engine stand bolts went through the rear engine plate and into the engine and i couldn't lift the crank out. It's an angled opening on the spacer plate and has to be removed (or rotated but I had bolts in it) so back on the hook to unbolt the engine stand. But yes it physically fits and if you're not removing your crank no worries.

Edited by steinercj5 - Feb/23/2018 at 1:41pm
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2018 at 4:43pm
I have that stand as well, I had no problems removing the crankshaft, but I didn't have a flywheel or flexplate or the spacer plate on the engine at the time.

The stand will take a flexplate or flywheel on the engine and still be able to bolt the engine to the stand as he said.

I added an extension on the front with a bolt in it to adjust to the floor. I made a plate to mount the bellhousing to a piece of pipe and bolted that to the bell and inserted that into the head of the stand. I made brackets to support the engine at the engine mount bosses on the block and a radiator.. I mounted a mini dash to the back of the stand with switches and gauges. A battery box bolted around the upright of the stand and fuel tank close by.  Instant homemade affordable engine test stand. Only thing I bought was the engine stand, the rest of the stuff was leftovers from previous projects and swaps that were taking up space in my "shop"..
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic