TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 Javelin Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Javelin Questions
    Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 3:32pm
OK I have another project car, as if I needed another, but it floats my boat.  I will post a project topic later. 

I have some questions:

Will a 68-70 Javelin headliner board/backer fit a 72 Javelin?

Does anyone know who does a good job of rewebbing seat belts and/or will convert the shoulder belts to modern style while still using the AMC buckles?

Does a 68-70 Javelin rear window inside plastic molding (the fragile one) fit a 72 Javelin? 

Thanks,
Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

OK I have another project car, as if I needed another, but it floats my boat.  I will post a project topic later. 

I have some questions:

Will a 68-70 Javelin headliner board/backer fit a 72 Javelin?

Does anyone know who does a good job of rewebbing seat belts and/or will convert the shoulder belts to modern style while still using the AMC buckles?

Does a 68-70 Javelin rear window inside plastic molding (the fragile one) fit a 72 Javelin? 

Thanks,
Joe

When i use to pick parts back in the 80's for my 73 Javelin, i noticed the rear interior panels were different in shape. Even though they may fit with some adjustments, you need to replace all rear pieces to fit properly to each other.

71 to 73 will fit, or 74 if going with a 74 retractable harness, which seems to be what your looking for.

Snake Oyl or any seat belt shop can reweb your belts, just send a complete set as they are for proper fit.

Do not try to have the shoulder harness as an integral part, as it will not store away easily and look sloppy IMO.

Seems like your not thinking of restoration, but mild mods. There is a thread on using later year Dodge seats that have the retractor and belt head built in to the front seats.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 9:04pm

Boy the '72 shoulder harness arrangement is sure a PITA, and I wonder how safe it is because if you don't keep it cinched tight it will undo itself.  The '69 arrangement is pretty good once you get used to it, with the metal loop that fits over the male part of the buckle.  On that version. the ribbon loop on the adjuster acts like a quick release, so you can quickly loosen it to reach the parking brake or window crank.  On the '72 (and perhaps other years?) you have to remove the shoulder harness just to reach the parking brake.

Slightly OT, but I just had to vent, lol. 
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 6:50am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Boy the '72 shoulder harness arrangement is sure a PITA, and I wonder how safe it is because if you don't keep it cinched tight it will undo itself.  The '69 arrangement is pretty good once you get used to it, with the metal loop that fits over the male part of the buckle.  On that version. the ribbon loop on the adjuster acts like a quick release, so you can quickly loosen it to reach the parking brake or window crank.  On the '72 (and perhaps other years?) you have to remove the shoulder harness just to reach the parking brake.

Slightly OT, but I just had to vent, lol. 

I guess I am the only one who finds the 71 to 73 belt arrangement just fine. Never had the issue of shoulder harness engagement/disengagement. Half of the time (city) I never used it. Though, I did drive my 73 a lot on the Hwy up and down California.

I can see why most wouldn't care for the non retractable type. My 65 Riviera had a roller adjuster about the size and build (round cylinder) of a 50 cent roll of pennies, that slipped around the belt as a spring retracting clip, to keep the belt slack all rolled up nicely when unused. Mostly to shorten the length by 5 inches or so. It did not have automatic lock adjustment, though its operation is like modern belt adjusters. No shoulder strap was used back then. But the mechanism could be used to assist storing the shoulder strap if wanting to eliminate the folding (to quicken storage) of the strap before inserting on the wire clip.

As for parking brake release... that was done before strapping in. Though, I rarely parked on a grade that did not have a curb or parking block, and my automatic locked the rear wheels for me.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2018 at 8:32pm
my first car was a 73 hornet. if it wasn't for that seat belt style i would have been dead when i flipped and rolled it. i love those seat belts. held me to my seat like glue. if i could put those belts in all my cars i would have lol. i thought they were a pain until that day.
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2018 at 8:59am
Ouch
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic