TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

196 OHV pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 196 OHV pictures
    Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 1:50pm
Next week my rebuilt 196 OHV is going back in my 63 Classic. When I took everything apart to get the engine out of there I didn't take many pictures. I was wondering if any of you can help me out and send me pictures of your engine bay or post them here. I need pictures (close ups too) of pretty much everything, also carburetor linkage. This will at least give me an idea of where everything goes and what connects to what. I got some pictures off Google but they don't do much justice. Anything is appreciated Big smile
Jason
hydromike View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydromike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 2:45pm
Below are a couple photos of the 196 going back into our '64 American after a refresh.  This is just what I had on-hand while in front of the computer.  Let me know if you need anything more specific after these and I can try to help.

Edited by hydromike - Feb/07/2018 at 3:01pm
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 3:15pm
Hydromike,
Your carb/accelerator linkage is missing a spring, a washer, and a cotter pin!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
hydromike View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydromike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 8:06am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Hydromike,
Your carb/accelerator linkage is missing a spring, a washer, and a cotter pin!

Well, sorta.  It is missing the the flat steel "overtravel" spring in the above picture, but Galvins set me up with one.  There's no provision on the '64 (or '65, apparently) American linkage for the small coil spring/washer/cotter pin setup, although my '57 does have that (and the overtravel spring).  The overtravel spring was missing when I got the car and I have every reason to think it was driven this way for some time.  About 75% of the travel in the accelerator pedal was useless until you took up all the slack that is supposed to be occupied by that spring.

Here's a shot of the spring installed and the parts diagram for that year.

Edited by hydromike - Feb/08/2018 at 8:09am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 5:47pm
Mike,
You've got the rod in the wrong slot, and it should have the washer, spring, cotter pin.
The bent end goes in the outside flange hole and not through the middle. It comes out the other hole in the other side of that flange and is secured with a cotter pin!
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 7:44am
If you're running an automatic be sure you connect that kickdown cable!
hydromike View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydromike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 8:10am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Mike,
You've got the rod in the wrong slot, and it should have the washer, spring, cotter pin.
The bent end goes in the outside flange hole and not through the middle. It comes out the other hole in the other side of that flange and is secured with a cotter pin!

I certainly understand what you mean and I struggled with it when I was first figuring out what I was missing on my linkage.  Below is the page from the parts catalog showing the linkage style you're referring to.  This version has the larger "hooked" bend to the linkage which slides in through the top hole and then uses the spring/washer/cotter pin, which are shown on the diagram (but absent from the one in my previous post).  The version on my American is the "L' bend style and there's no possible way that the geometry allows for the linkage to go in through the top hole of that linkage.  That, and my linkage isn't even drilled for the cotter pin.  

Edited by hydromike - Feb/09/2018 at 8:13am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 9:04am
Mike,
I can't quite tell from your picture, but either your carb lever is missing one side of that squared-off U shaped bracket, or you have the linkage rod in the middle of that u-shaped piece. Look carefully at the diagram at "connection" 4.070. All the pieces I'm describing are in the diagram, but not on your car.
hydromike View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydromike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 9:32am
There are two variations.  One setup uses the small coil spring and cotter pint and one does not.  The parts you're referring to are clearly absent from the first diagram, which is the setup I have.  The way the first diagram is drawn, it's easy to interpret it as though the shaft goes in through the top hole, but it does not.  The second diagram shows the variant with the off-set bend in the shaft, which allows it to enter the top hole in the linkage bracket and then use the spring/cotter pin (AND the overtravel spring).  

I tried looking around the forum here to see if I could snag another picture of somebody with my setup and so far this is the best I could find.  This is good because you can see the empty "top" hole on the linkage that this style shaft doesn't use.

This is good dialogue, because I don't know which style the original poster has and it's a bugger if you think there's just one style.

EDIT:  So check this out.  THIS fella looks like he's missing the spring!

Another thing to note on these two different linkage styles is that on mine, the accelerator cable pulls from the top of the shaft (counterclockwise rotation) when viewed from the back.  On the image above, it's a clockwise rotation.

Edited by hydromike - Feb/09/2018 at 9:44am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 10:08am
Ok Mike,
I see your point! Thanks for good pictures!

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic