TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Replacing Front shocks on Rebel Machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing Front shocks on Rebel Machine
    Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 4:53pm
Okay, I have another question.  Just before I adjusted my rotors to fit the machine wheels, I replaced the front shocks with the KYB Gas-a-Just offering.  I am not sure why, but I run out of thread on the top stud before the rubber bushings get good and compressed.  If I use my body to bounce on the spring, (basically get the car rocking), I can see the shock moving inside of the top bracket.  Normal?  Sorry for what may sound like a dumb question, but I am traveling in uncharted territory for me.  Doing many things I have never done in the past.

Could I have installed them wrong?  Is there a definite order in attaching the top, bottom or bracket?  The KYB does have less thread than the vintage Monroe I removed.  Any ides or insight would be appreciated.   
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:53pm
Not normal. How thick are the bushings? Did you also use the correct washers top and bottom?

-Steve-
michaelp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:55pm
The bushings are about a little less than an inch tall. That are the ones that came with the shocks. I made sure to use the new bushings are hardware, and not the old.
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:59pm
The stack up should be:

Keeper Nut
Nut
Washer
Bushing
---------------- top mount
Bushing
Washer

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 7:07pm
Most of the new rubber shock bushings seem to be taller and smaller in diameter than the OEM bushings. Having said that, one would assume that the stud on the shock would be sufficiently long to clear the bushings and the washers. Each bushing should have a raised lip around the through hole on one side. Make sure these lips face each other and are centered seated in the opening. Once installed you typically tighten the mounting nut down to compress the bushings so that they bulges out a little past the edge of the retaining washers.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2018 at 7:42am
Back in the old days shocks used to come with both sizes of bushings and washers to fit other cars like ford as well. The larger diameter type have much thicker washers. Ran into this a few years ago with kyb shocks for my Eagle. They only came with the small size which do not fit the upper mounting holes of most 1970-1988 AMC cars correctly and flop around. I was not the one that installed the shocks so this did not get noticed for a week. By that time it was too late and the old bushings and washers were gone with the garbage. He shop that put the coils in also put in the shocks.
Got a used set of large size upper bushings and washers off a jeep guy and swapped them in, problem solved.

Edit: Doorman/help may still have the larger ones.

Edited by maximus7001 - Jan/27/2018 at 7:46am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
michaelp View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2018 at 5:59pm
That is exactly the issue. The bushings supplied with the new KYB shocks are much smaller than the ones I removed. I too left the old go prior to realizing my problem. I may reach out to KYB on Monday and see if they will send out a replacement set of bushings. I guess it is worth a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic