TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aluminum body t10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summerfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum body t10
    Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 2:57pm
I purchased a 1970 amx 390 4 speed. The transmission will jump out of second gear occasionally when decelerating. When I bought the car I also got what is supposed to be the original transmission, which needs some work done on it, and the numbers jive with what I see on the forum.

But the transmission I have in my car has an aluminum body and I am not able to see an amc car that had that, and read that the gmc's do not fit.

I also have an occasional vibration that I can feel on the clutch pedal if I touch it with my foot , and was told that the tail shaft has some play. Am thinking that the tranny might be a starting point, but am curious where the aluminum body transmission came from, and would assume if I am sticking money in a tranny, I should go with the original.

I thought I would I ask the pro's.

I had a 1968 343 javelin as a youth, and bought this one for old times sake.

Thanks
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 4:27pm
We have an AMC T-10 with an aluminum case from one of the road race teams back in the 70's. The alumunum case is not AMC, after checking the #s, was from a Shelby Mustang. You may have a Ford aluminum case which will work on an AMC T-10. 
summerfun View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summerfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 6:38am
Thank you, I am not able to get at the car right now as it is stored away, but will check the numbers on the transmission.

I was curious what the possibilities were, and then which transmission to try to repair.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 9:26am
I'd be curious if the aluminum transmission uses the original 8"+ depth AMC T-10 bellhousing,
(which would mean it uses the AMC T-10 input shaft),
or of "something else" was used for a bell and a brand X (Chevy or other) T-10.

Interesting either way Star
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
summerfun View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summerfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 10:03am
Well, the car is in storage and the original transmission is on the floor of my garage.

One concern would be that if I repaired the original t10 without getting under the car and checking out what is there, it may not fit if there were adjustments made to accommodate the aluminum case t10 or whaterever i t is.

Everything looked normal under the car, but I did not get any numbers off the transmission.

I will try contacting the guy I bought it from, but do not think I will repair anything until I know what I have.

Will let you know what I find, but may not be till April till I get the car. Was hoping to repair the tranny on the floor ahead of time, but sounds like there is a risk to that

Thanks again
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by summerfun summerfun wrote:

Well, the car is in storage and the original transmission is on the floor of my garage.

One concern would be that if I repaired the original t10 without getting under the car and checking out what is there, it may not fit if there were adjustments made to accommodate the aluminum case t10 or whaterever i t is.

Everything looked normal under the car, but I did not get any numbers off the transmission.

I will try contacting the guy I bought it from, but do not think I will repair anything until I know what I have.

Will let you know what I find, but may not be till April till I get the car. Was hoping to repair the tranny on the floor ahead of time, but sounds like there is a risk to that

Thanks again
That sounds like a good plan.
I hear it is getting hard to find parts for the AMC T10 and maybe others as I have been out of the AMC area for a bit.
Any way back when S & K speed in NY was the go to place for needed parts.
https://www.skspeed.com/
https://www.skspeed.com/
Dave ----

Edited by FuzzFace2 - Jan/21/2018 at 10:36am
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 7:01am
If it's a Ford aluminum case T-10 it may have the 72+ AMC six cylinder bell housing -- only 6.5" deep instead of ~8" deep like the AMC V-8 bell. Won't know until you can get to the car an measure the bell depth.
Frank Swygert
summerfun View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summerfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 8:47am
Thanks guys, really appreciate the info.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 9:08am
You could just squeeze a tape measure through the top of the transmission opening via the engine compartment and measure the bellhousing depth.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic