TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing Cover pitting issue?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Another coating possibility is Glyptol.
It's a tried and proven coating to isolate porosity from the electric motor industry.

For sure I am going to use that on the pitted cover for another build down the road.
Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 11:38am
I've used it and I'm pretty happy with the results.  You may be able to fill some of those corrosion pits up enough to smooth out the surfaces. Maybe fill them partially first, let the Glyptal set up till very nearly dry, scrape the surface off to level it,  then give it another overall coat. Don't over do that though as the water pump impeller can fit quite close to that surface in the timing housing.

I liked the suggestion made to glass bead the corrosion away. Just go lightly.......

The Glyptal does require baking it, so I used my electric oven, no woman in the house to female canine so no troubles. I did open a few windows to remove the smell. Or get a used electric oven that the stove top elements are shot and put it in your shop !

You may wish to acquire a few sheets of 320 or 400 grit wet or dry abrasive paper. Lay them on a very flat surface (big piece of heavy glass) wet it down (a few drops of Dawn dish soap mixed in for lubricant) and clean up the mating surfaces on that corroded timing cover. I've used this method and it works great for me.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jan/19/2018 at 11:44am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 10:34pm
This is something that just happens. You can always dig out another cover but I wouldn't be too worried. Toss it into the electrolysis chamber for a few hours and clean spray it with ether if you're paranoid but these parts don't have any real actual stress on them. If it breaks, it needed replacement anyway.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2018 at 4:28pm
Baking any Aluminum product can ruin the material
at a fairly low temp. All Aluminum parts
have a heat treat / temper. With some alloys
only a few degrees over 300 degrees F can render
the parts soft and useless.

Even castings....
Gremlin Dreams
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 7:07am
Glyptal bake temp is 125c - 257f well under Boris' stated damaging temperature.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 10:21pm
I have a mc Atv jet ski engine suspension shop in NJ Cylinder bores on these babies are more than often plated these days. Not many iron sleeved engines at all anymore   I'm constantly sending out cyls to be replated and bored and honed to Powerseal in Pa   I've had them replate and resurface some mating surfaces that were eroded on jet skis with success internal wear on shock bodies etc Jet ski motors really corrode inside even though they have sacrificial zinc anode inserts in them   In pretty sure they can replate timing covers innards.    I've had them replate. Honda car engines and even replace nikaseal over iron sleeves. These guys are really good they can tig up windows and score marks from broken pistons and rods in the most ungodly spots. I'm sure they could help with pretty easy timing covers. It's not their business profile but it's possible. WWW.POWERSEALUSA .com they're in PA    My shop is FASTWAY MotoMods.
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 10:26pm
Jethot maybe good too
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 6:37am
I sandblast them, coat the pitts with JB weld and spray epoxy primer over the top. If they are bad enough I sleeve the water passages to the block with chromed brass sink drain pipe.

First I coat the pitts with JB weld.
Then I use a 1 1/5 Key Hole saw and open up the passage down to the lip at the bottom. Then I coat tghe surface with JB Weld again and then press the 1 1/2" brass sleeve in.
Tcoversleeve by Rick Jones, on Flickr
After it sets up. I trim the sleeve down and coat the voids with JB weld again.
Tcover by Rick Jones, on Flickr

Edited by SC397 - Jan/23/2018 at 7:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic