TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Swapping a 232 for a 199

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 5:58am
Jeeps were made in Iran for a while, I'm not sure what models... apparently Wagoneer was one of them! In one segment you see a CJ based pickup. We never got anything like that (separate cab/body), just the extended wheelbase CJ-8 Scrambler (and earlier CJ-6 which was the same -- but only marketed to utility/fleet companies, not the general civilian population). Jeeps in general weren't marketed well until AMC bought Jeep in 70...
Frank Swygert
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 6:44am
Rambler Americans were also assembled in Iran.

A Iranian student that went to the local college always brought his 68 American to me when it needed to be worked on,  he said he had bought it because he was familiar with them.  His family had one in Iran.

When he graduated and it was time to go back home, he just dropped by and gave me the car.

That was just before the Iran-Iraq war of the early 80's,  I've always wondered if he survived that war.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 5:04pm
 I've got a little info about the Iranian Ramblers. They went by a different name, of course, Aria and Shahin (names are types of hawks, one apparently a plain model, the other more upscale), and assembled by Sherkat-Sahami Jeep (Pars Khodro). They were apparently made about 10 years before the company switched to another model. I think the body was made in Iran, as these were made starting sometime in 68 (according to "The American Motors Family Album"). So AMC wasn't making the body much longer after that. The Iranians also got the 66 Ambo and Classic bodies... don't know what they called them, though I saw a photos of one with the Ambassador name. Maybe the "American" is the only one that was renamed? Would make sense... Here is an ad showing 1977 models, though Wikipedia states production ended in 1974... Makes me wonder if this isn't a magazine article or used car ad from 1977... Anyone read Farsi?

Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2018 at 5:20pm
Lots of pics of the old Rambler production line at http://www.parskhodro.ir/en/gallery?id=1&virt_url=Old-Production-Line&page=1. They only show the American based model, so apparently that's the only one that was produced there. The Classic and Ambo models may have been imported. Makes me wonder if they weren't imported from Argentina, as IKA DID produce the mid 60s models into the 70s. Could have been in the deal with AMC that IKA provided bodies for other export markets? 
Frank Swygert
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2018 at 12:48am
Back when the shah was on the throne and we were friends with the Iranians, or at least their leader. The people didn't like him too much. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic