TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1968 Javelin Leaf Springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1968 Javelin Leaf Springs
    Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 12:47pm
Can anyone contribute some first hand knowledge on the various leaf springs available for the Javelin these days?  I am particularly looking for information on the 67-423 springs that McVeigh sells on ebay for a very inexpensive price versus the $250 per side that Eaton gets.  I don't mind spending the extra money as long as it is money well spent.

My contribution, the reason I am asking for information:  A few years ago I did a full suspension rebuild that included new springs all the way around.  I went with Espo, they were priced well and I could put a parts package together and save on shipping.  I was not thrilled with the springs as they seemed fractionally thinner than original and the second leaf did not extend all the way to the front eye of the top leaf so I called.  Yes, they sent me the HD springs and all should be fine.  several years down the road, the main leaf is bending into an S and the rear tires are rubbing the body on ANY bump.  My mistake, I knew something was not right from the beginning, and I got what I paid for.  

That said, I do not want to make the same mistake again so I am favoring the Eaton springs but I was hoping the forum had answers for those looking for leaf spring information and I wanted to share my experience.

Any good first hand experience?
Bryan
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 2:14pm
When I built my 70 Javelin I ordered the so called "heavy duty" rear leaf springs from one of our AMC parts vendors and they did the same thing your "Espo" springs did. Both springs (main leaf) bent just behind the front eye, but mine took less than 1000 miles to fail. Before that I had always used Eaton springs on my other cars, but decided to try the so called HD leafs from an AMC vendor because of the price and to help support our vendors.

Several years later I built my 70 AMX and I used Eaton rear leafs. Here it is 4 years later and the Eaton springs still look like they should (no bending of the main leaf) and the ride height is the same as when I installed them. I will never buy those cheap azz leaf springs for another car!!! So I say save the aggravation and buy some good USA built quality leaf springs from Eaton.

Just my 2 cents!!
Dennis          

Edited by THE MENACE - Jan/15/2018 at 2:18pm
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 2:25pm
I am 1000% with Dennis, Eaton is the only way to go, the price delta is well worth it and the others are just poor quality crap......have had several customer supply brand X and found they needed to be replaced within a year.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 6:34pm
I put Eaton on my 69 Rambler. Very good quality. I am sold, too. You might luck out with the cheapest but you usually get what you pay for when it comes to an important component like the leaf springs.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Burnished Brown View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burnished Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 8:18pm
I made that same mistake.  I had to change the springs on my 1969 Javelin after only a year or so using a less costlier brand.

I replaced them with the Eaton Detroit springs and they look just like the day the were installed.

I won't make that mistake again.
Terry

1971 Burnished Brown Javelin/AMX
1971 Mustard Yellow Javelin/AMX
1970 Bayshore Blue AMX
1970 Bittersweet Orange Rebel Machine
1969 Beale Street Blue Javelin SST

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2018 at 10:16pm
A local AMC restorer here in Arizona recommended Valley Spring in Phoenix for my '69 AMX. I used them, and they're still looking good two years later. I think I paid $300 for the pair, but freight to NJ would probably be a deal killer for you. If you do decide to use them PM me for some more details you should provide when ordering.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 9:11am
Mine were rebuilt at a truck spring shop. They re-curved the springs, added one long below the main, added a half leaf to the front, new slides and straps. They had the AMC spec in their system so curved to factory arc and mount centers. $250C total and very happy with the ride and performance after 3 years of less then gentle driving. 
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 11:20am
Thanks Guys!  I really appreciate the input!

Bryan
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2018 at 1:26pm
Just some additional information as I reached out to McVeigh's with questions on the 67-423 Springs.  The response was that the 67-423 spring sets are made by Dayton Spring in Harrisburg PA to OEM specifications and McVeigh buys in large enough quantity to be able to sell at a good discount.  I asked about the second leaf reaching the main leaf front eye and the response was yes, the second leaf front dimension is 22.25" so it reaches to just under the front eye at 22.8125" (both dimensions from center bolt forward along spring curve).  

I also spoke with Eaton and the springs they make for AMC are all made to order (minimum 2 weeks) and are made to OEM specification unless you request alteration.

Again, thanks for the information and I hope this topic helps anyone else with leaf spring questions.

Bryan
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic