TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Hornet manual disc master?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Hornet manual disc master?
    Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 5:28pm
Doing a scarebird front disc conversion on a 1973 hornet that came factory with 4 wheel manual drums. Still going to be manual brakes, but even after bleeding almost an entire quart of brake fluid through the front reservoir the pedal feel is mushy and does not seem to be improving after continued bleeding. I'm thinking the bore on the stock master could be worn, so might as well switch to a proper disc/drum master instead. Even if turns out not to be the problem, it would nice to know that it's been replaced and eliminate a variable. I believe the master cylinder i'm looking for is a Cardone 10-1492, but I just want to make sure it would work in a manual brake application. 

Connor 
1972 Javelin
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 5:49pm
Yes, you should switch to a disc/drum master. At minimum you must remove the check valve from the chamber for the front brakes.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 7:07pm
I used the 74 Hornet disc/drum mc on my 62 Rambler Scarebird conversion.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2018 at 6:02pm
Bumping this thread. I ordered 10-1492 master cylinder, and realized pretty quick that's not going to work. The larger reservoir is pointed towards the front, which goes to the rear drums and wouldn't work. Size wise it's also a good bit larger than stock, with the stock brake lines being far off.  

I was wondering what is the part number of a stock replacement disc master cylinder? This looks close, and it claimed to fit, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask. 

1972 Javelin
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2018 at 8:23am
The brake lines are easy to swap. There are adapters for different size lines, but if the newer MC take standard brake line nuts just remove the line from the MC to the junction block and get a new one. Don't have to flare the ends -- parts stores sell lines in 6" increments. You may need a 13" line and would have to use an 18", but can find a place to bend that extra 5" instead of cutting. You should be able to use adapters and bend the lines you have to swap reservoirs. The link for the MC you posted from Summit should work.
Frank Swygert
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2018 at 11:27pm
Wanted to bump this thread yet again. Considering that the disc master I got is still not an exact match for the existing brake lines, I thought It might be worthwhile to convert to power brakes considering lines will have to be made regardless. I've read that a booster and master cylinder setup from an eagle will work, and was just curious if anyone can confirm this. 

1972 Javelin
phast1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 12:05am
Bump
1972 Javelin
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 6:37am
Pretty much the same as late model Concord.
Frank Swygert
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2018 at 8:08am
phast - Farna is giving you correct advice - use the proper master cylinder for the car, and move the brake lines to match.  SFAIK, all 70s-80s AMCs with disc/drum factory setups had the larger disc reservoir in front of the smaller drum res.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic