TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Another AMC 20 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another AMC 20 question
    Posted: Jan/04/2018 at 3:22pm
Back in the mid 80's I bought a carrier and set of 3.54 gears from Ray Pinto at American Performance Products. I had them installed and when I picked up the car they said they had to switch the gears to my carrier.
Is there only two type carriers for a '73 Javelin? 
Original gears were 2.73 and the carrier they gave me back was an open one. Implying the one in the car is a limited slip, if there were only two.
Reason I ask, I have a new to me '73 AMX that I am rebuilding and it has 3.54 but the tires turn opposite ways when I spin them (open diff).  When I turn the tires on the old car at times only one tire turns, at other times one turns and the other turns slightly, and one way they both turn, but always opposite directions. Could the clutches be bad?
The new car needs brake job at least but I only want to work on one. If the old car is limited slip I'll leave the new one alone.
Old car in sitting outside in the yard, once it warms up I can pull the cover if I need too. But I can work on the new one in the garage now if I knew it was the keeper.
Thanks,
Ken

Also can the bearings and seals be replaced without pulling the hubs, just pull out the shafts?
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2018 at 9:17pm
In a limited slip rear, if the clutches are worn, the rear will act like an open rear. The final truth, remove the cover and confirm what you have. Easy to get a gasket and put the cover back on.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2018 at 10:30pm
On the AMC20, there is a unique carrier for 2.73, the other carrier fits all other ratios. The later one piece Track-Lock carriers weren't known for their durability.  If it is a twin grip, it could be worn out.  A quick pic of the carrier will help identify it.

Bob
tufcj 
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 8:27am
When you have 2.72 gears and the Tracloc, you're married to that assembly unless you're willing to pull another loadout from another AMC 20. The later lockers are for 3.08 and up. THOSE are known for their durability. Get a Detroit or TrueTrac. Spartan is probably cheapest and I'm pretty sure Auburns are $$$$ these days. Unless you're putting on big sticky tires like I do, it's cheaper to stay in the middle.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 12:25pm
Ok so if the 2.73 had there own carrier that makes 3 different kinds. But I doubt my 304 with 2.73 had a limited slip. I'm not sure why or what they changed out. It will be back into the 70's on Monday and I'll pull the cover.
Thanks'
Ken
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 5:29pm
Good News and bad news, Good news is it had fluid in it. Bad news it doesn't any more and it's an open diff so I'll rebuild the brakes on the newer car.

Second question again: Can I replace the bearing and seals without pulling off the hubs? Just pull out the shafts and have everything pressed off and on? Seem Like I have done it before.
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 6:28pm
No, you cannot. The inner seal, yes.
Otherwise the outer seal and the bearing are between the hub and a larger part of the axle - in other words, both outer seal and bearing come out the short end of the axle so the hub must come off.
ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2018 at 10:36pm
OK well then I'll just be doing the brakes and shocks at this time. Thanks a lot guys.

Maybe a locker later?
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic