TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

resistor for points

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

The Prestolite distributors whether for 196's or 232's have their caps held on by clips. Although they are quite reliable the last time I checked a tune up kit for one ran close to $100, including cap, rotor, points and condenser. Better to stay with the more popular Delco style with the hold down screws.

the flathead and overhead engines use different, incompatible distributors and caps, and probably rotors.  the OHV screws on and is taller. dunno about the points. delco remy in the OHV, forget what's in the flathead but it's definitely not prest-no-lite.

Edited by tomj - Dec/30/2017 at 11:23pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 9:01am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

the flathead and overhead engines use different, incompatible distributors and caps, and probably rotors.  the OHV screws on and is taller. dunno about the points. delco remy in the OHV, forget what's in the flathead but it's definitely not prest-no-lite.

Probably depends on the year.  The flathead in my '65 used the common Delco cap, rotor, and points found on later AMCs and Chevys.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2017 at 11:01am
The old Prestolite (or Autolite?) distributor with the points was OK. Mine had 145000 miles and still going. Always gave me good service but lately getting ridiculously expensive for tune up parts. Maybe you guys are referring to Prest-no-lite's later electronic version of which I know nothing about.

I had two Delco distributors with points and now none, although kept one for the Rambler to use for the Petronix. The one in my truck was defective in some way although I can't fault that either because it had been sitting in a field for twenty years and I did no troubleshooting. Tossed it for an HEI unit that I am very happy with. The HEI's can also give trouble though as I had a module fail some years ago in a SBC P/U. They can't stand the heat of climbing over a mountain on a hot day.

Getting back to the resistor wire question, I had not realized the OP had a Rambler American and not a Classic so I don't know anything about that either. I also am not sure of the correct way of checking a coil for resistance but what I have done is measure across the plus and minus terminals. 4 ohms was the value measured in the coil that had been in my car for many years.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic