TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Timing 1959 Rambler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing 1959 Rambler
    Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 8:48am
HELP!!!   I recently tried to time my 1959 OHV six cylinder. I connected the timing light, highlighted the timing marks and tried to align it with 5 degrees BTDC. Every time I turned the distributor to approach 5BTDC, the car would stall out well before I approached the mark. What's going on? I know just enough to be dangerous. This is probably an easy fix. Any suggestions?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 10:05am
There is a very good chance that the balancer has slipped, making the timing marks unusable.
The best thing to do is set it "by ear". Set it where it runs good, then go out and find a hill. Accelerate up the hill. If it "pings", turn timing down a little and try again. Repeat until it runs good but no ping pulling the hill. You might have to reset it when the weather changes. Generally if you set it in cold weather it will be fine for warm, but set it in warm weather and you may have to turn it down a bit when it gets cold. This gives you the most advance you can run on the fuel you are using though.
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 5:14pm
To determine if the outer ring of the balancer has slipped out of place, pull the number one spark plug and crank the engine by hand and hold your thumb over that spark plug hole until the compression tries to push your thumb away.  That is the compression stroke for that cylinder. Insert a screwdriver in that hole and slowly turn the crank until the piston is at the top of that stroke.  If you have the valve cover off you will see that both the valves for that cylinder are closed.  At the top of that stroke the timing mark on your balancer should be opposite the little pointer on the timing chain cover.  If it is not, you can see that the balancer has slipped and you can probably estimate the number of degrees it has moved.  If you send that balancer to be rebuilt, mark the inner and outer rings with a chisel at approximately where they should be not where the are.   Two rebuilders are Damper Dudes and Damper Doctor in CA.   That balancer is also available as a reproduction part from the major AMC vendors.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 6:13pm
Also realize your car was built during the octane wars when lead was still used to boost ratings. Today's gasoline is a lower octane than it was in 1959 and the old factory timing settings may no longer apply. Make sure you disconnect and plug the vacuum advance on the dizzy before you set timing too. When you have it timed right readjust the idle speed and mixture. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by apollotaki apollotaki wrote:

HELP!!!   I recently tried to time my 1959 OHV six cylinder. I connected the timing light, highlighted the timing marks and tried to align it with 5 degrees BTDC. Every time I turned the distributor to approach 5BTDC, the car would stall out well before I approached the mark

did you pull hose off the distributor's vacuum advance and plug it first? that'll mess you up good if you don't! vacuum advance, depending on how it's plumbed (which can be a protracted religious argument, ported vs. manifold :-) when working will add 10 - 15 degrees of additional advance... 

the usual way is to pull/plug hose, set base timing, reattach hose. depending on plumbing as above, the actual advance could increase a lot.

but absolutely, do the checks for the slipped balancer... it's made in two pieces, the bolt-on hub, and an outer heavy ring that has the pulley groove and the marks. between them is (was! lol :-) rubber. it goes bad.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

apollotaki View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollotaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2018 at 2:49pm
Thanks to all who gave me advice on my timing issues. I'll try all the tips and see what happens.
Pentajgj View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentajgj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 7:10pm
HOLA SOY COMPLETAMENTE NUEVO EN EL SITIO Y DESEO ORIENTACION Y AYUDA DE USTEDES LOS EXPERTOS, TENGO UN MOTOR RAMBLER 282 CON CABEZA DE 258 RECONSTRUIDA, PERO NO HE PODICALIBRAR LAS VALVULAS DE LOS CILINDROS 1,2,3, LOS CUALES NO CORTAN Y ESTO HACE QUE TIEMBLE, HE TENIDO LA IDEA DE COLOCAR ROLLERS AJUSTABLES PERO NO SE DONDE  CONSEGUIRLOS NI QUEMODELO DEBO BUSCAR  NI MARCA, ES POR ESO QUE LES PIDO AYUDA, ESPERO SUS RESPUESTAS, O CON GUSTO LAS RECIBIRE EN   pentajgj@hotmail.com mi cel en mexico es +52 1 8182039185 gracias
Pentajgj View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pentajgj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 7:17pm
Otro problema que tengo es con mi diferencial dana 44 , el problema es que la flecha que esta posterior lado del conductor, se me ha salido varias veces, he conseguido la que supuestamente lleva  que es de 31 3/4" pero por el lado de los satelites veo que le falta al menos 5/8 para llegar a cubrirlo, otra cosa que tiene es que el juego axial es de aproximadamente 3/13 y eso que compre el juego de rodamientos timken  set 10 y se me ocurrio poner una arandela antes de la copa en el housin lo cual redujo por completo ese juego hacia afuera , mi duda es , sera conveniente sacar esa arandela entre el housin y la tasa del balero y ponersela de algun modo entre la placa de ajuste del eje y el  reten del balero ???? ayuda por favor
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 5:59am
For the rest of us, here is the Google translation... which is far from perfect...

HELLO I AM COMPLETELY NEW ON THE SITE AND I WISH GUIDANCE AND HELP FROM YOU EXPERTS, 
I HAVE A RAMBLER 282 ENGINE WITH 258 REBUILT HEAD, BUT I HAVE NOT PODICALIBRAR THE VALVES
OF THE CYLINDERS 1,2,3, WHICH DO NOT CUT AND THIS DOES THAT I HAVE, I HAVE HAD THE IDEA
OF PLACING ADJUSTABLE ROLLERS BUT I DO NOT HAVE TO GET THEM OR WHERE I NEED TO SEARCH OR
BRAND, THAT'S WHY I ASK FOR HELP, I WAIT FOR THEIR ANSWERS, OR I LIKE TO RECEIVE THEM IN
pentajgj@hotmail.com my cel in mexico es +52 1 8182039185 THANKS

Another problem I have is with my differential dana 44, the problem is that the arrow that
this rear side of the driver, I have left several times, I got the one that supposedly takes
that is 31 3/4 "but on the side of the satellites I see that he needs at least 5/8 to get to
cover it, another thing he has is that the axial clearance is about 3/13 and that I bought
the set of bearings timken set 10 and it occurred to me to put a washer before of the cup
in the housing which completely reduced that game outwards, my doubt is, it would be convenient
to remove that washer between the housing and the bearing rate and put it somehow between the
shaft adjustment plate and the bearing retainer ???? please help

Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic