TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 ignition points + rotor question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SentencedToBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 ignition points + rotor question
    Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 11:18pm
Hi everyone

I'm trying to work out the part number for a set of points and a rotor for my 232. It's a 1966 Rambler Classic 770 (if that makes any difference).

Local shops don't seem to have it on file, the closest we're getting is a 6 cyl motor from the 70s, the points and the rotor are totally different.

One thing I've been told so far that it's a Mallory distributor.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction? Below are pics of my distributor and points + rotor. If anyone knows either the part number(s) or what other make/model may have the same setup, any help would be greatly appreciated.

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 1:17am
Well this is a familiar headache. The distributor is a Mallory and the points aren't. You need a specialty Standard part #DR2240. It's supposed to fit the older 232 but also fits the newer ones up to 1974 that I would normally just pull from a 258 distributor but these also fit the 230. You'll know it when you see it and no, the counter guy isn't going to be able to help. Take this issue to a speed shop or swap in a 258 distributor.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
SentencedToBurn View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SentencedToBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 3:17am
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

Well this is a familiar headache. The distributor is a Mallory and the points aren't. You need a specialty Standard part #DR2240. It's supposed to fit the older 232 but also fits the newer ones up to 1974 that I would normally just pull from a 258 distributor but these also fit the 230. You'll know it when you see it and no, the counter guy isn't going to be able to help. Take this issue to a speed shop or swap in a 258 distributor.

Awesome thanks man, googled it - looks identical, will go to my local place with this part number tomorrow! You wouldn't happent to know the rotor part number would you?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 11:38pm
you should get familiar with the rockAuto.com parts website, even if you don't buy from them. they're a great resource for looking up and cross-referencing parts. all of your ignition parts are here:

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 12:21am
Originally posted by SentencedToBurn SentencedToBurn wrote:

Awesome thanks man, googled it - looks identical, will go to my local place with this part number tomorrow! You wouldn't happent to know the rotor part number would you?

I know it's one of the reasons I was heading for the exit (258 distributor) the moment I saw this thing. It's a Chevy 230/250 part number and that's where most of the support came from as the only fit checksum for this that I know of is that it will fit the IH 241, Studebaker 194. The part number is another Standard number. DR314? I want to say trust RockAuto for this but you should be able to get this off the shelf.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
SentencedToBurn View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SentencedToBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 3:26am
Again, massive thanks! Will also check out the rockauto site!
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 7:54pm
Probably because it's not the original distributor, which would have been a Delco and uses the same points that every six cylinder Chevrolet did in the 1960s and 70s. Points and parts in general for them are practically falling off shelves.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

...are practically falling off shelves.

mainly because the quality these days is terrible!

TA DUM.

sorry, non-contributing post.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic