TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 american my way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by DAMX DAMX wrote:

I know what you are talking about. I just got a 1968 AMX with motor troubles, and all I hear is put an LS in it. 

I have to laugh at some of the car shows on Velocity.  It doesn't matter if it's a Ford, Chevy, Mopar, Studebaker, Buick, whatever....the first thing they have to do is put an LS(something) in it.  I watched one episode where the car had already been LS'tified and they were going to pull the engine and put an LS(later) back in it!
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 8:06pm
LS swaps aren't all that cheap.  Besides, not everyone is looking to make the most power possible.  Many just want a fun cruiser that'll still get out of it's own way, and spin the tires when you want them to.  Which, if that's the case, swapping in a small block from any of the big three is much cheaper.  Dropping in a stock 5.7L Vortec will get you 255HP and 330TQ and will get up and go just fine.  Roller engine to boot; so it's much easier on today's oils.  Biggest expense is a carb intake for it if you don't want EFI.  

I almost did similar to my Rambler back about a year ago.  Very good friend of mine picked up an '85 Lincoln with a throttle body injected 5.0/auto.  Paid $50 bucks for it because the previous owner just wanted it out of his yard.  Car had been used as the guy's "airport car".  A car he left at the airport and didn't care if it got stolen/damaged.  Came back from a trip and the battery was dead.  Turned out there was a drain on the battery, rather then fix it he parked it.  My friend jump started it and drove if 50 miles home.  Car ran great!  He wanted $400 for it and if I hadn't been such a purest, I would have jumped at it and had an EFI V8 with and AOD trans.  Sure would have been cheaper then the cam/4bb/intake I did on my Rambler, and I wouldn't have been limited to the early bellhousing.

LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2017 at 12:19am
Yep, sick of LS everything on Velocity channel. I might need to add wings to my old 69 Rambler if I installed an LS. Overkill in my book. And as Patrick says, not inexpensive at all.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic