TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

fender well headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fender well headers
    Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 7:14am
has any body tried to make a set of fender well headers  for the small or big cars ? had a 66 barracuda that i put a set on  wonder if any thing would fit a AMC 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 8:12pm
fenderwell off a jeep maybe ? 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 10:40pm
Fenderwell headers would probably need to be custom. The problem I see is that the steel between the trunnion tower and firewall is structural on a unibody car. Remove too much and the entire front clip and suspension will begin to flex. Even if you were to go to a more modern suspension, you need to add tube reinforcement or something to support and stiffen the front frame rails. They're only stamped/welded thin gauge steel, unlike full frame cars.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 5:18am
Yes, everything on an AMC is structural, even the glass and doors.
Gremlin Dreams
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 12:29pm
X2 on the structural concern. Granted, my old Hornet race car was a rusted PEI car, but after 1800 transbrake passes the structure was gone and it was flexing at the base of the windshield. The chrome trim across the base of the windshield was scraping up and down on the windshield as it flexed.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 2:37pm
Me...Being a gasser/altered wheelbase guy..you can put a hole in the rear panel behind the shock tower(a hole that does not mean remove everything) but i would run an add`ll brace from the front frame rail to a plated section of the firewall (better to your roll bar hoop if you have one)either inside the engine compartment or in the fender well area...I left all the org. sheet metal in my wagon intacted in case i ever want to go back...If done right with the correct parts you can drive these cars anywhere...I`m coming on 8 years with my set up still no creaking flexing or body gap changes..My axle is moved forward 4 inches so fender well headers would fit right in but i can`t bring my self to cutting the car....The closer you bring the fender well to the front bumper the nicer the American looks...I have a 68 also and my biggest turn off on the body (Only Turn Off)is how far back the front fender well is from the bumper when they lengthened the nose in 66...sorry if i got off topic
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 12:25pm
if tubing was run under the trough  to help support everything then fender well headers will work  not wanting to go straight axle for clearance  i have a 68 Rogue i am putting a 360 into  was looking for more clearance for the starter and strut rods 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic