TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Preload - Is this right?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preload - Is this right?
    Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 3:31am
I have spent all day bleeding the master/slave setup on my Eagle and stopped to rip everything apart and figure out what is going on with the slave. Pedal is mush but a different kind of mush than you would experience. I'm used to mechanical linkage clutches on big trucks with a HD clutch. The mush I feel is similar to a brake MC going to slop but not like an all out failure where the brake pedal goes clear to the floor. It's a consistent delay for the pedal to return to the upright standby position. Air bubbles aren't the problem here and I need to figure out why.

Master is a RHD J3238951 I pulled off Summit last year.
Slave is a cheap ordinary PowerTorque CS2237 unit from mid-Summer.

The master is super easy to bleed and didn't need bench bleeding. The slave, is a consistent issue. The old unit I pulled off an Eagle as a reference unit was rotted and completely rusted out. The new unit looks the same with a smaller bleed screw but when bleeding this unit I noticed there was a consistent preload on the fork. To the point where this would constantly engage the throwout bearing, disengaging the clutch. There's about 8-10lbs of pressure on this thing with or without fluid. I pulled it apart and this unit is heavily spring loaded. WHY?!

Worse, I didn't recognize this problem when I was in a hurry earlier this year, so now I suspect that I'll have to rip everything back out and change out the new PowerTorque clutch. Where do I get a normal slave cylinder for this car?
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic