TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stock 360 output

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2018 at 8:00pm
I’m not a VE table expert, but I found with the Quick Fuel QFI system I used in the past that if I looked at the areas of the table where the biggest % of corrections were being made, I could increase/decrease pulse width in those areas to get the base map closer and reduce the amount of correction being applied. A few weeks of honing the base map helped a good bit as the computer wasn’t trying to do so much work. And yes, fuel enrichment settings helped. There was fast and slow throttle enrichment, decel cutoff, etc., etc. to work with. Adjusting AFR targets to be ideal across the range made a difference also.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2018 at 8:10pm
I had all kinds of issues at first with the QFI system. From the factory, there was an entire line of zeros across the VE table at 2100 RPM so it would stumble as I accelerated through 2100 RPM. Also, I was getting a crazy rich spike on deceleration on the order of about 10:1. And the TPS, though functioning, had a lag that wouldn’t give me a “pump shot” unless I double pumped the throttle when going WOT. Lots of little issues, so I bolted on a Quick Fuel SS 680 and shelved it for a Jeep project that never materialized and ended up selling/trading it for a TCI converter eventually. I like everything about the QFI carb except for the lack of a choke pull off. They just slot the back side of the choke blade to allow some air to be pulled past when the blade is closed. No adjustability at all other than opening rate. Makes it a pain in temperate weather. It would probably work ok in actual cold weather.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2018 at 8:17pm
I only got around to finally downloading the Sniper configuration just before the last night out and still don't know what most of it means. I have a lot of learning to do there, but I'm sure it's really no different to learning how to tune a carby properly.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I only got around to finally downloading the Sniper configuration just before the last night out and still don't know what most of it means. I have a lot of learning to do there, but I'm sure it's really no different to learning how to tune a carby properly.

Carbs are easier, they can't "compensate" for your adjustments, you change it and it works or it doesn't.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 10:49am
There’s no doubt a well tuned carb can perform extremely well and in terms of WOT dyno numbers or fuel economy numbers, and if done right, will match the performance of EFI. But that’s the exception, not the rule. And I’d like to meet the guy who can tune a carb to beat both fuel economy AND performance numbers at the same time with the same tune. But what a lot of folks don’t realize is that even the best “wide band tunes itself” bolt on EFI system (90% of them throttle body carb replacements) isn’t just magic right from the get go. There’s still some tuning involved to get the max performance and efficiency people are hoping for from these things. That said, I’ve run both and I really value the experience and engine knowledge I gained from learning to tune my EFI setup. I’m running a carb now in the Hornet and though it seems to run fine, I am itching to hook up an O2 sensor and gauge. I learned enough with EFI the know there’s no doubt I’m leaving a lot on the table. There’s a lot you can do with a vacuum gauge at idle, but how much of my daily driving is done at idle?

Well, that’s a departure from the theme of your thread, WesternRed, sorry bud. And I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir here with this audience. Just stuff that was on my mind.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2018 at 8:22am
Out she comes:

WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 8:47pm
Any updates?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2018 at 4:45am
Updates here:

http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/aussie-gremlin_topic96598.html

Thought I would start a new thread given that it’s not really stock anymore, never was in hindsight, now 12.3 @ 111 mph, so definitely sorted out a few issues.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
  Share Topic