TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX/Javelin Brake Booster Bracket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 5:22pm
On mine which is a 69 AMX there was about a half inch to three quarter inch spacer between the brake booster and the bracket which would change location of the pedal but if you'd like it where it's at that's fine I would think. And everything seems to work well. I'm still trying to get the pivot pin unseized I have to take it to a friend that has a press and we'll put some heat on it and see if that works. If not I'll be looking for one online here
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

It's more than just the booster spacers.  The linkage is different between the drum and disc boosters.  Disc top, drum bottom.  At least in '70.

I successfully converted the White70JavelinSST from drum to disc brake booster and brakes using only the parts from the drum brake bracket and linkage including the pushrod that came with the disc booster. It does put the pedal in a bit different spot., but its still a completely workable situation. I like the brake pedal closer to the same plane as the throttle, I can side foot the throttle and brake simultaneously for downshifting and braking together. The brake pedal does not bottom out on the floor of the car dead engine or engine live. Of course I cannot remember all the details as I did this over ten years ago. So that in itself says it works, I put about 1500 to 2000 miles a year on the car.

I absolutely agree that it is not necessary to used the disc brake brackets for a drum/disc conversion.  I just didn't want the OP to assume that the brackets were the same for both a stock drum and a stock disc applications.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

It's more than just the booster spacers.  The linkage is different between the drum and disc boosters.  Disc top, drum bottom.  At least in '70.

I successfully converted the White70JavelinSST from drum to disc brake booster and brakes using only the parts from the drum brake bracket and linkage including the pushrod that came with the disc booster. It does put the pedal in a bit different spot., but its still a completely workable situation. I like the brake pedal closer to the same plane as the throttle, I can side foot the throttle and brake simultaneously for downshifting and braking together. The brake pedal does not bottom out on the floor of the car dead engine or engine live. Of course I cannot remember all the details as I did this over ten years ago. So that in itself says it works, I put about 1500 to 2000 miles a year on the car.

I absolutely agree that it is not necessary to used the disc brake brackets for a drum/disc conversion.  I just didn't want the OP to assume that the brackets were the same for both a stock drum and a stock disc applications.

Well 6PakBee, I for one am happy that the information the OP  is getting is based on the photo evidence you presented. Now this info is archived as the two systems had different brackets and linkages. Good info. Thanks for posting the pics !
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Rustaholic View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 11:26am
I have a brake booster question maybe someone might have experience with. I'd like to convert my 69 javelin to power brakes, just manual drums now. I'll probably just get it anyway to save it from getting scrapped but would the power brake setup from a 65 287 classic have any value for me? I also have some jeep commando booster/bracket that look very similar. I think there's a 64 ambo with power brakes yet too. And would the spindles and caliper brackets from a later gremlin have any value if i eventually want to convert to disc brakes? Just seemed like a good thread for some brake questions. Thanks! ☺
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 12:43pm
The main purpose of the bracket is to lift the booster higher to clear the engine. The disc booster back in those days as a larger diameter than the drum booster. There is some difference in the lever ratio, but that is part of what made those power discs so touchy back in the day. I use a drum booster bracket on my car. It requires a bit more pedal effort, but I like that -- not as touchy as the old power brakes used to be.

As long as the bracket lifts the booster enough to clear you can use one form any car or the Jeep bracket. Ford and Chevy used similar brackets in some of their cars and trucks. You might have to "adjust" the hole in the firewall and the length of the pushrod from pedal to bracket if you use something other than a small car (Javelin/AMX/American) bracket of around the same year. If you use a Ford/Checy/Jeep bracket you may have to drill new firewall mounting holes. I've done a couple with modified brackets. I'm currently running a 65 Classic bracket with a Ford Ranger booster and master on my 63 Classic. Took modifying the bracket and booster rod to make that work.
Frank Swygert
Dirtydog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 6:46am
Karl I was thinking about what you said about the pedal being closer to the floor. Next time you're on a hill shut the key off see if the brakes will stop the car with the motor not running. Normally the car will stop without the help of the brake booster but since you changed the pedal I am just wondering if you have enough pedal now to still stop the car without the help of the brake booster. It's just a test for your safety I think it will stop but I was just curious.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2017 at 6:55am
Do note that you may need both feet on the pedal to stop the car without the booster -- takes a lot more leg effort due to a different pedal ratio than manual brakes. 
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 6:21am
One more thing -- if you are using a manual brake pedal with a booster it WILL go down close to the floor. It's the pedal ratio... manual has needs more leverage, power needs more travel and is a bit higher at rest (brakes not applied).
Frank Swygert
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2024 at 10:37pm
I'm having trouble finding a booster and bracket that fits our 67 Rogue. I have power brakes on my 66 290 Rogue, but I don't want to cannibalize it. I have a 69 AMX bracket but it puts any Booster I have into the shock tower.

I always thought one of the purposes of the bracket was to change the manual pedal ratio of 6:1 to 4:1 for power brakes. The 6-1 would be way to touchy for power brakes
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2024 at 10:11am
The bracket isn't what changes the pedal ratio. The position of the pushrod on the pedal does. On later model car there are two holes in the pedal arm, the upper for power brakes, lower for manual. That started around 67-68? Maybe as late as 70-71? In other words I'm not sure when... but sometime around the late 60s to mid 70s. You might be able to drill your existing arm, but the arms aren't hard to change. The bracket moves the master cylinder and booster up so it clears the engine and spring tower.

I would think the AMX bracket would work. Measure the diameter of the 66 Rogue booster. Are you trying to use a larger diameter booster?

Some have used this 7" booster setup:
It lifts the setup high enough and has the correct size master cylinder (1" bore). You would need to make a pushrod the correct length. One note: if you order from Master Power just tell them it's for a Ford Torino, or a street rod. For legal reasons if you tell them it's for an AMC they will say they don't carry anything for an AMC and won't sell it to you.

This kit from Speedway is about the same:
The pushrod length would be easier to change, I think, since it's a threaded rod. Speedway doesn't carry a Torino kit. I'm not sure if the side to side dimension of the firewall mount holes on the Chevy kit are thee same as on the AMC. The lower holes are slotted, so no worries top to bottom.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic