TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

6 cylinder tach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 5:37pm
I have had an NOS one of these 6 cylinder tachs int he box years ago, I sold it to a fellow from West Virginia for his 69 BBG 6 cylinder Javelin....they don't come up very often.

Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
7TZ View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 5:52pm
Thanks for the info. Glad to know somebody else has actually seen one.
1969 AMX
2005 350Z
1970 240Z
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 6:24pm
Now that everything is cleared up, I will add... way back In the 80s, I found a Tic Tac clock that had 6 cyl stamped on the back. Can't remember the specifics of the 72 Javelin other than I learned from picking, 6 cyl Javelins can have a tach as well as the V8 cars.

All in all, I bet 6 cyl tach options are very rare for any year Javelin cars.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Now that everything is cleared up, I will add... way back In the 80s, I found a Tic Tac clock that had 6 cyl stamped on the back. Can't remember the specifics of the 72 Javelin other than I learned from picking, 6 cyl Javelins can have a tach as well as the V8 cars.

All in all, I bet 6 cyl tach options are very rare for any year Javelin cars.

Might have been for an Export car, or Mexican VAM car.  I've got documentation that specifically states ANY V8 Javelin could be equipped with the Rallye Gauges. It sort of implies that no 6-cylinder cars could be ordered with it.

However, South of the border, their 6-cylinder cars COULD have tachometers but not full Rallye instrumentation. In the cluster, the center and left gauge pods would have the standard brushed aluminum gauge style while the right pod would have the black face tach/clock combo.  Also, a KPH speedometer.  Very strange.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 6:57pm
Only if I knew better at the time, but I was still green on AMC cars back then while in college. At the time I was looking for a Speedo and tach. Ended up stumbling on the odd 6 cyl tach and ended up with the speedo.

Not sure with vague history with wrecker cars, but would it be possible to have a special order late 74 AMX with 6 cyl and tach option? Maybe the previous owner of the car picked a wrecked 74 AMX with a 6 cyl and thought it was cool.

None the less, i almost ended up buying it, until I saw 6 cyl on the back. In an odd way, back when I searched on ebay, and finding loose tic toc tachs I would look at the photos of the backs before reading the descriptions. As to see if they were selling something that someone may not know better and end up with the 6 cyl version. Never saw one since my picking days.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Not sure with vague history with wrecker cars, but would it be possible to have a special order late 74 AMX with 6 cyl and tach option? Maybe the previous owner of the car picked a wrecked 74 AMX with a 6 cyl and thought it was cool.

AMC didn't do "Special Orders" at the factory level. The Kenosha plant was always behind the 8-ball in terms of production.  If anything disrupted the line - they didn't do it. It was crank 'em out as fast and as best you can. So, as a factory ordered car, no - that would never happen.

At the dealership level it's entirely possible - BUT, it would need to have a Salesman or Parts Man or somebody in-the-know that the tick-tock tach was available in Mexico for 6-cylinder cars. Those are a couple of pretty big "IF's". 

Whoever supplied the gauges to AMC probably supplied them to VAM in Mexico. Since AMC technically was not ordering (or paying) for the gauges, they probably didn't care.  This style of tach is also a trigger sensing style, unlike the earlier tachs.  So, internally, there would be differences between a 6 and an 8 with different values on certain components.

I'd be willing to bet it was more of a mistake.  Somehow a 6-cylinder one slipped into an 8-cylinder box and was shipped to Kenosha.  I'd be willing to bet whoever owned that car probably complained of a tach that didn't read correctly.  But then again, that can be said about virtually ALL gauges in the 70's so he may have never noticed! LOL
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2018 at 1:42pm

This comes rom the 1969 VAM Rambler American owner's manual. The tachometer in the document seems to be very similar to the one posted by 7TZ, the same AM logo presnt, the same 500 RPM interval reading. Only the center of the hands looks diferent.

Tachometers were first used by AMC in 1966, which as far as I know is the same date in which VAM started using them as well, although I have no way to prove this. I do know for certain they were used in Mexico in 1968 and 1969 but no proof of 1966-1967 VAM models.

All tachometers used in Mexico were calibrated for six cylinder engines. The 1968-1970 VAM Javelins used the same type of tachometer as the 1968 AMC Javelins (the larger 1969-1970 unit to the right of the spedometr was not used).

1971-1973 VAM Javelins came from the factory with the clock and tachometer hybrid and YES, it was calibrated for six cylinder engines.

If tachometers were sourced to VAM by AMC, I don't know for certain. The second VAM car to include a factory-installed tachometer after the Javelin was the 1972 Rambler American Rally (Hornet X).

This model from 1972 through 1975 had a tachometer that was almost exactly like the one used in the 1971 AMC Hornet SC/360, being an 8,000 RPM unit.

However, in local junkyards I have disassembled VAM Hornet instrument clutsters and removed the tachometer. In the back it is printed that the tachometers were made in Argentina.

It might be an explanation that VAM took AMC's original tachometer aesthetic gauge designs and send them to a supplier in Argentina. This only applies for the Rally tachometer, I have not been able to lay my eyes in the back of any 1968-1973 VAM Javelin tachometer.

The 1976-1977 Rally (and also Gremlin X) models changed to the 6,000 RPM unit, which was also made in Argentina. In the midyear 1977 VAM replaced this tachometer with the inhouse digital unit.

I do know VAM imported tachometers from AMC in two models, the 1979 VAM Pacer X with its vertical tach in place of the clock, and the 1980-1981 Rally GT (Spirit GT) with its regular 7,000 RPM unit.

As far as I know, the very first time AMC offered a factory tachometer for a six cylinder model was the 1974 Hornet Rallye X and 1974 Gremlin Rallye X.
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic