TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'68 390 Mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2018 at 6:54am
I had the valve covers off last spring, the seals looked good. Great idea on checking the cam, thanks. As for the manifolds, I have already picked up a good used set of free flows, that, and a new exhaust system are up next on the to-do list.
Blue68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2018 at 7:51pm
Update.....after re-assembly and several hundred miles driven, virtually no oil consumption! Probably a combination of vacuum leak on the intake manifold and no baffle on the intake.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2018 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Blue68SST Blue68SST wrote:

Hi Ken.
Thanks for the reply.
There is obviously no way to tell what gasket was used unless I pull the intake, which may be worth doing.
The PVC valve is routed to the front base of the forward Carter carb. I will try to post a picture.
Yes we have met at both the Milton and Mississauga CC cruises. I have the gold AMX, used to have a blue 68 Javelin.

Not true. All you have to do is look at the ends of the manifold flanges and you can see the edge of the gasket. You may also be missing the baffle plate. Take out the PCV valve and drop a long screw driver down the hole. a tin clank sound means the baffle is there, a dull thud means you hit cast iron and neither the baffle or valley pan are in place.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

scotty54 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 6:04am
AMC Enthusiast says: 

One more thing: don't put the square top cheapie valve covers on your '66-'91 AMV8 engine.
The stock curved top valve covers are specially made to deflect oil spurts from the pushrods to the rocker arm tips for superior lubrication. (the Chevy style square top valve covers forfeit the optimized curved shape to reduce lubrication to the rocker arms tips)

This is the first time I have heard anything about valve cover design. Very interesting - have you conducted tests, read about this, or other determining method? I am about to place of set of vintage Milodon covers on my 401 and you have me thinking.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2018 at 10:17pm
iirc the functional intentional oil-deflecting shape of the stock AMC valve covers is / was / may have been
mentioned in the AMA or SAE papers about the introduction of the new for 1967 AMC V8...
or maybe Performance American Style or the later AMC Power Book.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Sep/01/2018 at 10:31am
scotty54 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 8:13am
I continue to be amazed at the degree even the smallest things are engineered. After digging out my Milodon valve covers (packed away 15 years ago) I am happy to see that the angle of the lateral side of the cover has the same angle as the stock cover.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2018 at 1:35pm
As we know, Edelbrock makes excellent ($$$) aluminum heads and valve covers. The Eddy classic cast aluminum valve covers tend to be mostly square at the top. This implies the curvature of the top of the OEM valve cover may not offer needed help in lubricating the rockers, otherwise Edelbrock would have incorporated this feature into their rocker covers. Obviously the jury is still out on this. This myth has been going on for decades.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic