TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 AMX Instrument Panel Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2017 at 7:51am
Just a thought. Did you clean the green bulb covers? I have seen some clusters where the covers were so dirty inside that they would make an aircraft landing light look dim. Also check the voltage coming from the panel light switch. The 74 bubble fender has a one of a kind panel switch with an exposed rheostat. Over the years the dirt buildup and corrosion can really kill the effectiveness of the rheostat. Like someone else suggested bypass the rheostat and see how it looks with full 12 volts.  

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2017 at 8:00am
The ones ordered will be bright, but... Green tint is green tent, the green led versions will be greener than stock, so on the lesser of two evils white will do, and you can paint dots on the center of the led to diffuse too much light if too bright.

As for the dim replacements, it is possible they are uni directional, and only are lighting the protruding surround of the back panel and not radiating light around it.

That is why i gave that particular light replacement as the best option.

Ps... If a mix does not light up, rotate the non functioning led 180 degrees as you install. Test on the bench, else you will be pulling the panel more than you like.

Edited by 304-dude - Dec/02/2017 at 8:03am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
apannizzo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apannizzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2017 at 8:17am
Hey Pit Crew,

What should I use to effectively clean the Rheostat? Since I am taking it apart again I might as well give it a good cleaning!
Allan Pannizzo
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by apannizzo apannizzo wrote:

Hey Pit Crew,

What should I use to effectively clean the Rheostat? Since I am taking it apart again I might as well give it a good cleaning!
I have had good luck with contact cleaner but be very gentle and lube the pivot points while you have it out.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2017 at 12:50pm
Compare luminosity, not candlepower. Lumens measures total light output, candlepower is measured more directionally.
Do get bulbs that have output all around - DEPENDING on the location. You may end up using two different sorts of bulbs, depending on what it does, the orientation, etc.
My Eagle has LED in the dash and I LOVE IT. the color of light is excellent and I can see things fine. They are dimmable via the normal methods. 
Be aware there are still some out there that need to be correctly installed watching polarity - not so common these days, but still out there.  Those I bought from the vendor below work either direction, the better ones seem to.

I buy from "superbrightleds dot com" or whatever their name is. 
The guy is good, knows his stuff, and has a ton of information.

For other locations, MATCH LED COLOR to lens color. Front marker lights use amber/yellow, rear markers use red, and so on. I learned that years ago and it makes a huge difference. 
the exception for me was I used "white" or plain in the dash and it worked great. The light is just slightly blue and looks amazing. 

The turn indicators, MIL and other lights are LED except the dash ALT light - don't convert that one!
The dash ALT light is part of the charging system circuit...........

I've been converting my SX/4 to LED as I can afford.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic