TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin X 258 auto "Gretchen" Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchenthegremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1973 Gremlin X 258 auto "Gretchen" Project
    Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 9:15am
New to the AMC world. Just got this lovely little car a few months ago. Have not had time to actually work on it yet, as I have alot of other projects ATM... 

I do however have a few things I know the car needs and I am looking for suggestions on how to repair or what parts to replace them with.......

Suspension Bushings- Where did you get yours? What Brand are they? 
Front Disc Brakes- Did you replace the calipers? I was considering it, since my car has been sitting so long, I do not expect them to be in great shape. 
Rear Drum Brakes- I cannot decide if I want to leave them be, or replace with discs. Suggestions and opinions welcome here.
Ball Joints and Idler arms- What is the best brand? On one of my Toyotas, I always had issues with Ball Joints, if I did not get a certain brand, the car did not like them at all, and they would go bad in just a few weeks after installation.
Vac and Fuel lines- I may have to do this by trial and error but does anyone know offhand what all sizes of lines and about how much I will need? I dont want to take them all off and then take the old crap to the auto store, because I am paranoid that I will not remember where something goes. I mean, it is pretty simple but still. In cases like that I mark them all with paint pens but I dont wanna do that to this car. My luck the paint pen would not come off haha!!
My car is missing the distributor completely. I have already bought a new one, which was highly recommended brand by fellow gremlin owners. So that is one thing lol!!! 
My radiator was not capped but I believe it can be repaired, I plan to take it to a shop next week or so to have them check it. 

I got my gas tank off, plan to send it off to get cleaned and whatnot. I am worried because I found some teeny tiny rusted thru spots on it. I hope they can fix it. 

I noticed a part or two missing off the carburetor. I wanted to keep the original one, but I may just have to go with a Weber.

I will also be oiling everything that moves asap, when I get around to cleaning her out. She does not have a back window, so naturally, there is alot of pinestraw and crap in there. 

Any cool Air Cleaners? I saw an Edelbrock one once on eBay that was chrome. I kinda wanna chrome alot of the stuff under the hood, because I will be getting the Cragar Chrome 5 spoke wheels for Gretchen. I will be leaving all the body damage and rust for now. I will sand it, clean it up real good, and clear coat everything. I think she will look really cool that way.

Anyways, I cannot wait to drive this car and I am so excited to start working on it. Look forward to becoming part of the online community :-)
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 12:05pm
Woohoo lots of Questions

Originally posted by gretchenthegremlin gretchenthegremlin wrote:

New to the AMC world. Just got this lovely little car a few months ago. Have not had time to actually work on it yet, as I have alot of other projects ATM... 

I do however have a few things I know the car needs and I am looking for suggestions on how to repair or what parts to replace them with.......

Hope you dont get the german link.. go for the better Brands Moog, and so on.

Front Disc Brakes- Did you replace the calipers? I was considering it, since my car has been sitting so long, I do not expect them to be in great shape.

If they dont leak at the Gaskets, dont touch em, just clean them, and replave the Brakefluid gently for both, front and rear .

Rear Drum Brakes- I cannot decide if I want to leave them be, or replace with discs. Suggestions and opinions welcome here.

With a 258 Auto, and the Speeds in the US, your good with well maintained rear drums.

Ball Joints and Idler arms- What is the best brand? On one of my Toyotas, I always had issues with Ball Joints, if I did not get a certain brand, the car did not like them at all, and they would go bad in just a few weeks after installation.

Moog  Get most of em at Rockauto

Vac and Fuel lines- I may have to do this by trial and error but does anyone know offhand what all sizes of lines and about how much I will need?

No Idea, i´ll havent worked on a Gremlin yet.

I dont want to take them all off and then take the old crap to the auto store, because I am paranoid that I will not remember where something goes. I mean, it is pretty simple but still. In cases like that I mark them all with paint pens but I dont wanna do that to this car. My luck the paint pen would not come off haha!!

Fuel and Vac lines are sold by the Feet, so just 1 part is enought for the store,
you´ll cut them to lenght at your needs.
And an simple non marking Solution, take pictures, use your Phone and take Pictures,
lots of Pictures. Upload them to the Board in the tread here.

My car is missing the distributor completely. I have already bought a new one, which was highly recommended brand by fellow gremlin owners. So that is one thing lol!!!

My radiator was not capped but I believe it can be repaired, I plan to take it to a shop next week or so to have them check it. 

Good luck

I got my gas tank off, plan to send it off to get cleaned and whatnot. I am worried because I found some teeny tiny rusted thru spots on it. I hope they can fix it. 

Good Luck Hope you have an Oldschool Shop, who can fix, not just replace.

I noticed a part or two missing off the carburetor. I wanted to keep the original one, but I may just have to go with a Weber.

Just reach 30 Points/Answers, and ask for one in the "wanted" section, i´ll bet there are lots of 73 correct ones availeble

I will also be oiling everything that moves asap, when I get around to cleaning her out. She does not have a back window, so naturally, there is alot of pinestraw and crap in there.

For the Backwindow the "Wanted" section again,
But to get an better overview about the car, remove the front seats, there are just some 6 nuts on each , on the underside of the floorpans, lower all the door glas before taking out the seat, and now have a look under the carpet, or better remove the center console and seatbelts too and take out the carpet, to check the condition of the floor pans/Undercarraige/Rockers.  
Take Pictures please, upload them to a picture Hoster and Link them with the Symbol in the Editor, (you´ll need 30 Posts to upload stuff to the forum)
And check the Frame rails, worst sport is everything behind the front Wheels.
Be sure the Forum Folks will give you an correct ansawer about Gretchens Condition.

Any cool Air Cleaners? I saw an Edelbrock one once on eBay that was chrome. I kinda wanna chrome alot of the stuff under the hood, because I will be getting the Cragar Chrome 5 spoke wheels for Gretchen. I will be leaving all the body damage and rust for now. I will sand it, clean it up real good, and clear coat everything. I think she will look really cool that way.

Focus on getting it roadworthy, before looking for the Bling,
dont blew your budget on driveway chrome, dont spend Money on a dead car,
lets check out the Condition of Gretchen first.
(If Gretchen is diagnosed healty and the Tires are too old anyway, and you want to upgrade too,  Rims and Wheels are expenses to get it roadworthy.

But "First the go, when the Show",
an Gremlin is a rare Breed anyway,
an Gremlin driven by a Female <50 is kinda an unicorn.

You better gave it an full service anyway, All the Oil, Engine Tranny and the rear Diff, Air and Oil Filter. 

Anyways, I cannot wait to drive this car and I am so excited to start working on it. Look forward to becoming part of the online community :-)

You´re welcome, you will lower the average age of the forum about half a year. LOL
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
gretchenthegremlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gretchenthegremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

Woohoo lots of Questions

Originally posted by gretchenthegremlin gretchenthegremlin wrote:

For all your Parts, your First stop is http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/american+motors,1973,gremlin,4.2l+258cid+l6,1003688 - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/american+motors,1973,gremlin,4.2l+258cid+l6,1003688
Hope you dont get the german link.. go for the better Brands Moog, and so on.

I LOVE ROCK AUTO! Was wanting to check the brands you guys use, thanks for that info! I hear Moog is great

If they dont leak at the Gaskets, dont touch em, just clean them, and replave the Brakefluid gently for both, front and rear .

Good Advice!  I will be sure to do this. Not sure how long the car has been sitting, so I am unsure how rough they are going to be. I will still be considering Brembo or Wilwood though

With a 258 Auto, and the Speeds in the US, your good with well maintained rear drums.

Good news. I may still disc swap them sometime down the road, but for now I do plan to buy new wheel cylinders, and a drum brake kit. Learned alot from working on my 86 corolla, which sat untouched for 17 years... The Wheel cyls were totally demolished!

Moog  Get most of em at Rockauto

Vac and Fuel lines- I may have to do this by trial and error but does anyone know offhand what all sizes of lines and about how much I will need?

No Idea, i´ll havent worked on a Gremlin yet.

I will be sure to post on here all the sizes I use and what lengths, because this information does not seem to be readily available. May even do some YouTube videos as I rebuild and work on this car. 

I dont want to take them all off and then take the old crap to the auto store, because I am paranoid that I will not remember where something goes. I mean, it is pretty simple but still. In cases like that I mark them all with paint pens but I dont wanna do that to this car. My luck the paint pen would not come off haha!!

Fuel and Vac lines are sold by the Feet, so just 1 part is enought for the store,
you´ll cut them to lenght at your needs.
And an simple non marking Solution, take pictures, use your Phone and take Pictures,
lots of Pictures. Upload them to the Board in the tread here.

Good luck

My local gremlin friend said he thinks it should be able to be repaired without an issue. I would rather pay 80-100 to have it refurbished than shell out $250 for a new one, to be honest!

Good Luck Hope you have an Oldschool Shop, who can fix, not just replace.

The shop I found is known around here for their amazing work on restoring old cars. They can do everything, and they do it well. They told me 150 to clean, reline, reseal, repair, add a filler neck to the tank. I thought that was pretty good considering I cannot find a good replacement tank to buy. 

Just reach 30 Points/Answers, and ask for one in the "wanted" section, i´ll bet there are lots of 73 correct ones availeble

Luckily my local gremlin buddy has the back glass, the wheel, and gas cap I need. he has a carb for a 75 or so, but I am not sure if they are the same or not. I will see if those missing pieces can be easily found online, or they could be IN the car, like alot of the other old parts and spare pieces. 

For the Backwindow the "Wanted" section again,
But to get an better overview about the car, remove the front seats, there are just some 6 nuts on each , on the underside of the floorpans, lower all the door glas before taking out the seat, and now have a look under the carpet, or better remove the center console and seatbelts too and take out the carpet, to check the condition of the floor pans/Undercarraige/Rockers.  
Take Pictures please, upload them to a picture Hoster and Link them with the Symbol in the Editor, (you´ll need 30 Posts to upload stuff to the forum)
And check the Frame rails, worst sport is everything behind the front Wheels.
Be sure the Forum Folks will give you an correct ansawer about Gretchens Condition.

I plan to disassemble Gretchen next weekend, I will remove seats, carpet, plan on removing the door and other interior panels (i have sugar ants so bad here and they are living in the door ugghhh), Everything is going to get cleaned REALLY freaking good. I took a hammer to the floors before I bought it and they seemed pretty solid. Will take a billion pics! I will be sure to upload them as soon as I can. 

Focus on getting it roadworthy, before looking for the Bling,
dont blew your budget on driveway chrome, dont spend Money on a dead car,
lets check out the Condition of Gretchen first.
(If Gretchen is diagnosed healty and the Tires are too old anyway, and you want to upgrade too,  Rims and Wheels are expenses to get it roadworthy.

But "First the go, when the Show",
an Gremlin is a rare Breed anyway,
an Gremlin driven by a Female <50 is kinda an unicorn.

You better gave it an full service anyway, All the Oil, Engine Tranny and the rear Diff, Air and Oil Filter. 

Plan is to  definitely refresh the fluids for sure. Ordering new filters as well. Luckily my car was well maintained. Someone loved her. Had a Wix oil filter on it. Plan is to get her running, soon as that is done, I will order my brakes and suspension stuff I need, buy tires, and once I get some drive time in and I can trust her enough... I will be buying her those Cragar wheels I want with the nice white wall tires. Oh, she is going to be stunning. All the chrome crap I will be waiting to buy until I can trust her, my luck the spiteful little lady will reject my efforts to make her presentable and then not run! LOL

You´re welcome, you will lower the average age of the forum about half a year. LOL

HA! I would not mind having a few people close to my age to talk to, I feel out of place alot of times because I am half the age of most people that do the old AMC stuff! I am used to being around the younger crowd with the Toyotas and Hondas! This is a new world to me, a very cool world. 
kalve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 3:37pm
there is also a vendor directory on this site of companies that sell AMC parts & go to  http://www.searchcraigslist.org/ an see what you can find there as well as ebay & check youtube & aaca forum for help an tips to.

1964 T bird Landau

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 convertible

1970 AMC Rebel SST Wagon
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 4:20pm
I've got a rear window for sale. Pretty nice, complete. It is the style with two latches that hold it shut. My 72 Gremlin has the single latch so I can't use it. I don't know the year. I can send you picts.

I'd take $70 for it, plus shipping. 
Gremmy Power!!!
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 6:38pm
From the pictures I've seen of '73, you should have the one latch version?  Check that out, and if so, I've got one in Birmingham, AL with a defroster grid.  I bought it a while ago for $50, never even opened the box to look at it in 5 years.  I could get rid of it for $50.  I was in Oklahoma at the time, thought the defrost was a possible upgrade, then gave up because the wiring was too much hassle.

Anyway, it's yours if  you want it at $50. 
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2017 at 6:49pm
Oh, definitely you don't need to upgrade from rear brake drums.  You do need to completely rebuild them and check operation.  Mine were rusted solid at the cylinder, and I drove it for 2 years without knowing that and didn't notice anything.  Even after a complete rebuild of the rear brakes, I didn't really notice a difference in braking (except the rears can lock up now and skid). The front discs do all the heavy braking work anyway.

Budget might not allow, but I'd recommend new cylinders, hoses, and pads, and check drums for roundness and diameter.  While you're there, flush the brake system entirely with DOT 3 or higher synthetic.  If you find excessively rusty lines, that's a concern.

On suspension, I'd only plan to replace what you know for sure is bad. If someone lubed regularly, you might not be that bad off for a while. (Moog is not the respected brand it once was, but it may be what's available.)  I wish I knew a good alignment/suspension place in town, but I had an old-school guy check mine over in Oklahoma, and he knew enough to do it right without the lasers.  I'd suggest an inspection by someone honest and not trying to sell you a new front end, if you can find one.

Check out this link for a 1973 AMC Tech Service Manual, and start reading up on everything, including vacuum line routing.

76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic