TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Deconstructing a Rebel Machine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 8:16am
what is the welded in piece in the floor tunnel? is that factory or someone cut it out then put it back in?
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by 1948kaiser 1948kaiser wrote:

what is the welded in piece in the floor tunnel? is that factory or someone cut it out then put it back in?

I changed the car to a 4-speed a year ago.

-Steve-

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:38pm
Removed the front and rear suspensions today. This is pretty much the extent of the teardown. For now I need to leave the doors and fenders in place so I can make sure the replacement quarters line up properly.

I'll do threads for the repairs in the coming months.

Exhaust got too close to the upper control arm.

70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 7:38am
Are you going to remove the sound deadener/undercoating or leave it?

So many people remove it but obviously it's not a correct restoration if you do and you loose the benefit of it.

I've always pressure washed it, lightly sand blasted any thing of concern, primed and repainted any bare spots and resprayed over the coating. IMO that's closest to factory.

70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
Ricomondo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricomondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 4:17pm
This is a great thread! Looking forward to following the progress.
Is there a breakdown of the colors on the Machine?

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Ricomondo Ricomondo wrote:

Is there a breakdown of the colors on the Machine?

I went thru the latest copy of the Rebel Machine registry & tallied up the number of Machines registered in each color.

The registry contains cars that are complete, as well as ones that have been scrapped. In a few cases, cars have been repainted a color that does not agree with the original door tag. When I knew this, I used the door tag info, not the current color. Also, some cars on the registry do not list a color, or color is simply blue or green. I did not use those cars in any way.

Total sample used, 360 cars, or roughly 18% of the total Machine production of 1936 cars. Some percentages have been rounded off.

I have the info in nice neat columns, but for some reason it doesn't show that way in the post & I can't figure out a way to correct it. Sorry if it is hard to read.

Color Cars Percentage

25A RWB 209 58.%
Golden Lime 18 5.0%
Bayshore blue 17 4.7%
Bittersweet 16 4.4%
Matador red 15 4.2%
Commodore 14 3.8%
Hialeah yellow 14 3.8%
Mosport green 14 3.8%
Sonic silver 8 2.2%
Glen green 7 2.0%
Moroccan brown 6 1.6%
Seafoam aqua 5 1.4%
Frost white 5 1.4%
Classic black 4 1.0%
Tijuana tan 3 .08%
BB Orange 2 .05%
BB Blue 2 .05%
BB Green 1 .027%
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 5:56pm
I think this will work.

Color Number Percentage
25A RWB 209 58.00%
Golden Lime 18 5.00%
Bayshore blue 17 4.70%
Bittersweet  Orange 16 4.40%
Matador red 15 4.20%
Commodore Blue 14 3.80%
Hialeah yellow 14 3.80%
Mosport green 14 3.80%
Sonic silver 8 2.20%
Glen green 7 2.00%
Moroccan brown 6 1.60%
Seafoam aqua 5 1.40%
Frost white 5 1.40%
Classic black 4 1.00%
Tijuana tan 3 0.08%
BB Orange 2 0.05%
BB Blue 2 0.05%
BB Green 1 0.03%

Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by 70amcpwr 70amcpwr wrote:

Are you going to remove the sound deadener/undercoating or leave it?

So many people remove it but obviously it's not a correct restoration if you do and you loose the benefit of it.

I've always pressure washed it, lightly sand blasted any thing of concern, primed and repainted any bare spots and resprayed over the coating. IMO that's closest to factory.

I'll leave it in place. A friend of mine removed it from his car and painted those areas. I'd think you'd end up with a ton of rock chips, exposing the sheet metal from simply driving around.

In the past I've used a wire wheel on a drill to scrub it then just paint over it with satin black.

-Steve-
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2017 at 8:06pm
Glad to hear you're leaving it.

Rustoleum makes a spray bedliner material that's available @ Home Depot. I Haven't  used it on an AMC yet but just used it on the frame of our 2014 5th wheel. Really liked the stuff, a bit of texture, hard finish and low sheen.

In the past I've over sprayed it w/ a paintable undercoating and then dusted it w/paint also. 
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic