TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 390 Distributor - Stock vs Accel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 390 Distributor - Stock vs Accel
    Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 2:29pm
I have 1968 390 with the factory distributor.  It has light weight springs 800-2600 RPM = 15-17 deg max advance.  The vacuum advance starts 8-11" vac with max 8 (dist)@16-18" vac.  5-7 deg static timing.  Car runs/idles well.  I have been hesitant to give up the vacuum advance as it improves the idle significantly.  I have access to an Accel mechanical advance only distributor with dual points.  Looking for advise on converting to the Accel in a Manual Trans car.

Also - has anyone run a Dual-point distributor or a Pertronix module in the stock distributor with the factory Tach?  I am concerned that the additional current may burn out the tach??

Thanks
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 4:03pm
First of all, just a quick fyi, you are in the wrong message board for this question. Not to give you a bad time, just you might get more responses as the V8 board is better frequented.

As for your question, why are you changing the distributor? I personally do run a dual point Mallory with mechanical advance only, and while it is fine for a street strip kind of vehicle, I wish it had vacuum advance. It improves drivability and mileage and is generally a bit more efficient and smoother. You can adjust the mechanical advance curve to clean up the idle, but you can not get the cruise mileage improvements and maybe not the smoother drivability.

Unless you are doing something pretty serious with the rest of the drivetrain, I would leave the stock dissy in place.

As for your other question, I have personally run the Pertronix and Delco remy distributor with the stock 1970 tach and had no issues.

Chris   
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 5:18pm
Thanks for the tip.  

You have pretty well confirmed my decision to stick with the vac advance.  I bought the car with the Accel and swapped it out with the vac-advance before I got the car on the road.  I have been thinking about swapping it back in to see how it does before I try to sell the Accel.  I have plenty of experience with automatic cars, but not that much with v8/manual applications.

I swapped a GM point system with the Pertronics and have been pleased with it, so I will probably go that way with the vac dist.

The entire coil current goes through the tach for 1968 (current sense).  Is it the same for 1970?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 11:32pm
I believe that the tach for 1970 and the 68/69 versions are similar inside. I have run one with a Pertronix I and also with points, both in the stock delco-Remy distributor.

One the subject of points and electronic conversions, here goes. I will not try to sway you either way, either will work perfectly and up to you. The points will work up to at least 6,000 rpms, especially if you get some heavy duty points such as Accel or Mallory. Electronic will work that high or higher, rpm wise.

You can use the Pertronix Ignitor I with the resistor wire, contrary to popular belief, or you can remove the resistor from the harness. I have done it with the stock resistor in place and it is fine with the -I. The spark is more than adequate to fire the plugs either way. It will not work with the Ignitor II and up, but again, the -I is fine with resisted current. I have done it! That may be better for your tach, but I don't know if it really matters. The resisted wire still provides enough spark to reliably fire a stock or mildly modified 390 and from your information above I am guessing yours fits that description from what you have posted.

The Accel dual point will provide you with no additional power or anything else, it will simply cost you some mileage and drivability. I use a similar set up, but I do it for vintage purposes only. If not for that I would run a properly tuned stock Delco-Remy. Points or electronic are your choice!

I hope that helps!

Chris

PS: My car is a stick, for what it is worth.
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2017 at 6:57pm
Thanks for all the help.  I have used the Pertronix-I with good success on GM vehicles to reduce maintenance of points and improve the spark.  I left the resistive wire in place as well and it worked fine.  I have gone to iridium plugs with the Per-I and haven't changed plugs/points in 20k miles or so with good success.  Seat of the pants feel was an increase in performance with the Per-I and iridium plugs but may have just been due to the tune-up??  I will probably go the same route with the AMC 390.  I think as long as I leave the resistor in place, the tach will be fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic