TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX Clutch Linkage - Update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 AMX Clutch Linkage - Update
    Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 2:05pm
I replaced all the linkage with parts from the same car - 68 AMX.  I did have to order the stud and bracket that mounts to the bell-housing.  The bell-housing came from an unidentified car, but I have driven my car with this part and the old linkage.  The clutch-fork came from an unidentified car but looks right and the ball stud came from a 68 Javelin.  It all matches the diagram in the literature now.

My problem is with the pedal height set, the linkage from the bell-crank to the clutch fork is about 1 inch too short (the rod all the way unthreaded + 1/8 gap between the 2 parts).  The nylon nub is still in place.  I can fabricate a rod, but it bothers me that something else may be wrong??

From what I can tell, the bell-housing & clutch-fork fit a wide range of years so are probably OK?  What
is the part/casting number of the bell-housing?  I am wondering if I have a 70 bell-housing and thus need a 70 ball-stud??

I bought the car as a non-running project.  Was an auto car converted to T-10 (although not very well apparently) so I don't know much about where the parts came from.

Thanks

I am running a set of clutch "franken-linkage" on a 1968 AMX.  Based on the bellcrank, I believe the whole works is out of a Hornet or other "small car" (still learning the amc lingo).  There is no pedal-stop adjustment inside the car; it just has a square hole to insert a rubber bumper (bumper is missing so just guessing here).

Everything works ok, but the pedal effort is high and it is tough to get enough travel to fully release the clutch.  What are the dimensions on a 68-69 bellcrank from the outside of the bellcrank shaft to the linkage holes on both bellcrank arms(lower arm has been welded)?  The pivot stud inside the bellhousing has also been modified.  What is the dimension from the bellhousing to the top of the pivot ball?

Thanks

Edited by madams - Dec/09/2017 at 10:05pm
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 8:17pm
Having been down this road with other vehicles with cobbled up clutch linkage other than AMC, do yourself a favor and get all the correct parts and pieces.  In the long run it'll be a better solution. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 8:33pm
6 pakbee  is correct, just get all correct stuff for the 69. Also, the pedestal with the ball is important. They are different from the 69 to 70. APD has them.   
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2017 at 5:44am
Just to add to the above, if you still have a three finger clutch then you left leg puts out about twice the effort compared to a diaphragm clutch for not a huge difference in clamping forces.
The 3 finger are 11" and diaphragm 10.5" but that does not make much of a difference for street or occasional race use.
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2017 at 12:06pm
Mark,
  Look at the "For Sale" section here, JavJav in Wisconsin is reproducing AMX/Javelin clutch linkage components if you don't find any decent used ones.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic