TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

destroked 290 crank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2017 at 5:54pm
 Go easy on me , I'm learning! LOL...   AMC never made a steel crank for a 360 right? They are all cast. 
( which is not a deal breaker )
My thought on this combo ( 401 block/360 crank) is an engine that revs quicker and should put the torque range up higher. ( of course cam selection plays a part in that too) Also the bolt pattern on the flange of older cranks ( pre-71 from what I've read?) doesn't play nice with adapting modern transmissions? I'm planning on a T-56....
Sure if I find a complete 401  I'd build that but I'm finding more bare blocks than complete short/long blocks to rebuild. 

About 10 years ago I built a Buick 455 that was done up some . I machined my own adjustable roller rockers etc.... It had crazy low end torque so much so that it started cracking the roof on all 4 corners. It has a ton of power but tough to get it to the ground. 
I then built a 451 Mopar stroker ( 400 block /440 stroke crank) and so love that engine, revs like a chain saw, and lots of power and with 200 tread wear tires traction is pretty good and pulls like a freight train right up to the 6k rev limiter chip. My buddy just spent 40k building/adding a 426 Hemi to his 71 Cuda and at a stop light heading out of town, one day we got at it. It wasn't much of a race, left him like he had a 6 cylinder. He was not to happy considering the money spent. ( I have 8k into this motor in a 70 Challenger)  This engine loves to rev, so I figured with building an AMC It might be a possible idea to so something similar. I love fast revving engines. Wink  Now that being said I have zero experience with AMC engines and have never driven a 401. Maybe if I drove/had a ride in one it would change my mind,  but regardless of the brand the theory is the same.  At this point I'm just exploring options. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2017 at 6:12pm
If you want a good revving engine why not 70 390 or 68/69 with a smaller stroke. I was tempted to under stroke my 68/69 crank to a 3.50 ish or so. May still do it, just for daily driver it would be a nuisance, but I have plenty of gear now with my planned mods to include a gear vender OD. Plus the forged crank can work in a 360 block, but with such a high RPM, you won't have 4 bolt main options, unless you find a service block.

If stroking or going with smaller journals, might as well machine the crank flange for later trannys.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic