TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'64 Rambler Ambassador

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 9:48pm
Thumbs Up Super nice. That's a keeper!
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 11:50pm
Love it, even with the wheels. And the interior is beautiful.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 6:50pm
About how many of this model would have been made in 1964? I see 938 were made in Canada, didn’t find US numbers.

Is this just a straight 4 door sedan ambassador, or does the door tag break it down further?

Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

Wow! That interior is killer nice! My 990H has solid red vinyl seats like that but yours are way nicer! How is the dash pad on your car? Any cracks?

Take care of this car!

The dash does have a couple cracks in it.
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 7:17pm
I'll have to say I'm very very jealous. Favorite car, great color combo. Wouldn't have thought something that nice would be from Rhode island. Regular wheels and hubcaps aren't that hard to find, that'd top it off. Wow wow wow
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 7:21pm
According to "The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975" there were 24,852 1964 Ambassador 990's built as 4 door sedans.  The model #6485-5 shows that it is a 4door Ambo sedan.  There was also an Ambo 880 series.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 2:06am
Yes that is a very good car. Some might argue these are the best cars AMC ever made.

Get and AMC Technical Service Manual and Chilton's Repair Manual for your car. (eBay)

Make contact with your nearest AMC club.

You might find a Canadian club listed on American Motor's Owners club website (AMO)

The club should be able to guide you to the 'right' people if you need parts or service for your car.

See also 'Vendors' section here on AMC Forum for parts.

Motor Trend named them "Best Car of the Year" in '63.

Not exactly sure but I think these may have come with a ceramic coated exhaust system; I've seen this on a '65 Marlin - the tailpipe looks purplish color... not rusted...

The whole rear fenders, under the paint, are galvanized to prevent rust. (who would ever know)

There's abundant use of 'self rinse' technology on these mid sixties Rambler intermediates: this translates into a great number of drain holes made into the underside of nearly all unibody cavities of the car -their function is to use rain or rinse water to keep dirt and rust from forming in the unibody cavites... Of the 30+ AM cars I've owned in my lifetime I've never owned any other AM car that paid so much attention to this particular feature. (the body of these cars is truly built to last)

With A/C, you have approximately 13 air outlet locations from the dash and the ability to mix cold and nicely warm air was an envious feature very few other cars had back then. (your car has an excellent HVAC system) I think you may enjoy reading this well written article; 'Kelvinator and Subsidiaries':

http://southernclassic.tripod.com/id2.html

(Ford Thunderbird used RANCO automatically adjusting heater valve (AMC Parts used in Ford luxury car))

Evidence of 'crush zone' technology may be seen in the engine compartment, by the folds in the inner fender sheetmetal -how they apparently look to initiate an accordion effect in the case of a severe head on collision. (AMC never harped about this though because the mere suggestion would be 'they are made to crash') And your car had standard seat belts way before seat belts became mandatory.

Your car came with curved glass side windows (starting in '63) way before Chrysler, Ford and GM... Chrysler as late as '67! -still clinging to low tech flat glass side windows.

You can adjust camber and some caster without crawling under the car; open the hood and the adjuster cams for the upper control arms are right there ready for service.

You cannot lock your keys in the car!

* the ingenious door lock mechanism automatically unlocks the door when you shut it = it can only be locked by using the key (sometimes a person having a bad day can really love this feature!... I've never owned, seen or heard of any other car like that)

Chevy Chevelle and Mustang owner pay big bucks to convert their rear suspension to get the superior traction design of the AMC Torque Tube drive system:

the enclosed driveshaft tube functions as an extra long traction bar reaching directly, very near to the car's center of gravity for instantaneous torque reaction with very little chassis rotation until optimum weight transfer is shifted to the drive wheels (when 'power-braked', the geometry is as such that the entire car is pushed upward until the rear wheels begin to 'break loose'... since there are no control arms, only a Panhard rod + half the weight of the torque tube, unsprung weight is kept to a minimum and there is very little road force transmitted to the body  of the car. The Torque Tube + axle uses the stronger drivetrain parts to form a rigid 'T-bone' structure under the car to help protect the passenger compartment from collapse during a severe rear end collision.

With a simple AM Rambler dealer accessory item:

your front seats can fold down to 'make a bed':

The engine in your car is my favorite engine 'of all time'. You may enjoy reading the '56 article presented to SAE by AM engineers named "The New American Motors V8" (thank you tomj!):

http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/Rambler-327/The%20New%20American%20Motors%20V-8%20Engine%20(SAE%20Paper%20details).htm

All 287s were painted blue. All 327s were painted red. The 327 four barrel engines have a solid main block: these solid main blocks are rare and highly desirable for a purpose built race engine.

You might enjoy viewing 443 XRV8 Gremlin here on AMC Forum or on my Google+ picture album pages:   https://plus.google.com/106358430530058382730

In stock form, your '64 Ambassador is truly a car built to last. In good running condition it should get around 16.5 mpg out on the highway -opposite of car sickness, these cars do not create much driver fatigue; they make great cruisers... I think you're gonna like it.

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 10:08am
Great, highly optioned car. Welcome to the AMC world.
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2017 at 8:42pm
Thanks for the info and links to read. I’ll take a look at everything.

I’m going to try and track down some hub caps over the winter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic