TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Interior Plastics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outdoorfunguy85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by ffltstn ffltstn wrote:

Can these interior pieces be save? the have deep scratches in them. 
I know I can repaint/dye them but can the texture be recreated?

You can use a vinyl wrap. It's more practical and gives awesome look to your car. My vinyl wrap project was installed by http://www.gatorwraps.com/services/ - Gatorwraps and I am very satisfied!
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 8:39am
Originally posted by jlswaggers jlswaggers wrote:

here is a way that is pretty easy and works.  I used it on my 72 challenger door panels.  clean as good as possible, wipe with scotchbrite to remove as loose stuff as possible.  then spray whole thing with undercoating. it gives you a good texture close to oe  and the black is easy to cover with any color  sem vinyl coating.   

What spray undercoating did you use?  Over the years I've used different brands of spray bomb undercoating and all undercoating is not created equal. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Samuelsc360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samuelsc360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 2:37pm
Make sure it is Rubberized Undercoating. The other kind doesn't dry.
ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2017 at 9:13am
Thanks everyone for your input,
I need to check and see what I have put away. I haven't decided which way to go with the colors of this car.
I have a blue truck and two blue motorcycles. First pick was red and black interior, second was Red, white, and Blue, with black and white interior, But maybe a different blue and either black or blue interior.
So many choices, LOL
Thanks Again,
Ken
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
amboamx70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amboamx70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2017 at 9:27pm
Ive used rattle can bed coating to retexture plastic in the past. it wont soften with heat like undercoat. repair the damage with body filler or J B weld then clean the panel well for adhesion. chill a rattle can of bed coating in the freezer for an hour or so (this will cause it to splatter small blobs) then mist the panel from above at about 4 or 5 feet. pay attention to coverage to not get a huge build up. it is messy and will cause lots of overspray, wear old shoes! after the texture dries carefully wet block sand with about 220 grit paper to just knock off the tops of the texture. dry off and check often to not remove too much tex. this will produce a convincing leather texture.    lots of work but worth it    good luck   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic