TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

rev happy 232

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 11:10pm
oh, it wasnt' clear from your original post that you had more than a stock setup.

still, cubic inches will make more power, bang per buck. but you probably know that, and have other goals. that's fine by me (besides none of my business :-) not that max power has to be the only goal. i've considered a higher revving small six myself.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2017 at 6:51am
A ported and polished 232/258 head won't be near as good as a 4.0L head. Ports are better shaped on the 4.0L. The large ports on the older head don't flow more, and have a hard turn down to the valve. The more gradual radius in the 4.0L head smooth out the flow much better and though smaller flow a lot more. The Crower valve springs you have can be used on the 4.0L head -- might take some spring seat work. Cam can be used, but will need custom pushrods for the short deck block. Someone on here has used the 4.0L head on the early block and posted the pushrod length. Can't remember who. Maybe a search will turn it up.
Frank Swygert
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2017 at 11:10am
I'm curious how well a 199 would run with a fully ported and polished 4.0L head, refreshed and modded MPFI like mine and a Crane 751121 cam. I'm willing to bet it will put down 300 horse and a little over 250lb-ft before bolting in a centrifugal supercharger.
Originally posted by AFannin AFannin wrote:

Not as of right now. Maybe later down the road
What power are you pushing with your setup?

Dude even I don't know how to answer that and I built the monster. It's a max bored stroked 4L@4.7L with an extremely mild Crower 44243 cam that I picked for future insurance when I figure out the M62 that is getting bolted in. The only thing killing me right now is recreating the engine harness for final assembly, doing something about the belt system when I go to electronic steering and mounting the fan controller somewhere safe and accessible. Thank God there are empty pinouts. I'll need them for the upcoming winch, light bar, air compressor, electronic steering pump, snow plow and God knows what else. This wagon is my workhorse and it's been a hellish four years that I've been on Ford pickups instead of this thing. It's time for a better change. Ouch

1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
AFannin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFannin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2017 at 11:37am
i'm trying to get at least 300hp from my 232, i could easily get there with forced induction but i don't have 2 grand to just drop on forced induction. would like to keep it N/A. that way I wont have to fabricate everything. and this is all going in my 73 gremlin, its a lite car so I don't need the most power in the world.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2017 at 4:04pm
I still have a soft spot for that little car. Even if it's not built 100% right it STILL flies down the track. LOLI'm thinking 300HP would be doable in a 232 as long as you have a really big Crane or Lunati cam. The Comps and Crowers really suck when squeezing that much horse out of these little 3.75" bore engines. Probably one of many main reasons I didn't opt to rebuild the 258. It just makes sense to go to a bigger bore for power and control. Ermm
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic