TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Door weatherstripping for 62 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 1:34pm
Yours will probably have some of the best rubber around.  Congratulations. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 1:40pm
Before I forget,  I would like to know if you notice less wind noise in the car after replacing the outer and inner weatherstripping.  I understand that you replaced them both, so you will not be able to tell if the outer weatherstripping itself made an improvement.  Correct me if my understanding is not accurate.  Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tcmorgan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2017 at 6:38pm
I was not to impressed with inner seal as I could see some daylight in some spots even though  I have all my door gaps looking good. She isn't ready to  go down the  road yet shooting for  March. But to answer your question I am very  confident it will make a significant difference just by  the way the door is closing and sealing. I am Happy with  it now. Before the outer seals I was not liking it and was going to  look for  some kind of different inner weather strip, but I think I  am in good shape now. I will let you know when I  take it out.
Tim
tcmorgan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2017 at 6:44pm
Sorry this is a total restoration and never drove the car before the restoration, so I can't really tell you if there is  a difference. There was pretty much noting left nothing to the weather stripping when I  got my  hands  on it. The only good thing was the gaskets going around the quarter windows thankfully, I don't believe I would be able to get  my hands on them.
Tim
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2017 at 6:09am
Mine is a modified driver. The 66 and earlier cars have always made some wind noise (mostly from rain gutters and such), but the outer seals help. Since repros are unobtainable, I sought another solution. I ended up with a self-stick weatherstip from Home Depot. Don't have a part number, but it was a double seal that I split. By double I mean is looked like two separate seals side by side, but connected, sort of like cheap extension cord wire -- easily pulled apart. It was the right height and about 3/8" tall -- each piece was about 3/8x3/8. Stuck that over the slot for the original after remnants of original were removed. I believe it works as good as the original... it helped.

The secret for using the self-stick stuff (or glue-on with contact cement) is to thoroughly clean the surface with alcohol, brake cleaner, or paint thinner -- some solvent that doesn't leave a residue. Mine hasn't come off and was put on in 2003 along with the glue-on door weatherstripping.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic