TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1964 Rambler American engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2017 at 6:22pm
It will bolt right in...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2017 at 5:37am
Why won't the BullTear conversion mounts work? I know they were originally intended for Hornet/Concord/Gremlin/Spirit bodies, but should work in an American as well...
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2017 at 7:08am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Why won't the BullTear conversion mounts work? I know they were originally intended for Hornet/Concord/Gremlin/Spirit bodies, but should work in an American as well...

Because they bolt on to the 199-222-258 perches on the CM. They wont work on a 196 CM.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 1:50am
the cross members are different on the 64-65 to the 66-69 American the motor mount bolt thru the cm on the 64-65 and the cm on the 66-69 has stand off brackets welded to the cm were the motor mount bolt to hat is the best way to explain why the bulltear wont work on the 64-65
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2017 at 5:43am
Duh!!! I missed the "64" which is quite prominently in the the thread title...

That "slick" crossmember is one of the easier ones to deal with though. Rectangular tubing supports of the proper height can be drilled and bolted to the late model motor mounts, the motor lowered in place, then 3/8" fine thread holes drilled and tapped through the holes where the 196 mounts were, then bolted from the bottom just like the 196. I have done this a couple times, using 10 or 11 gauge steel tubing (~1/8" thick). Works like a charm. If you have more than a mildly built V-8 I'd either use thicker tubing or weld piece of 1/8" or 1.4" plate where the bolt goes in from the bottom just to be safe. Had no issues with the 3/8" fine thread bolt and 11 gauge tubing with my built 4.7L stroker though, and I enjoyed (one wheel) burnouts with it on occasion the first year I had it -- with a stick shift three speed.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic