TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ambassador parking brake improvement?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 5:01pm
Have a read of this article:
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2013/05/Rambler-and-AMC-Brake-Drums/3725161.html
Now if the rear brake can be changed to a wider drum/shoe combo then that is a huge braking force difference. The problem would be the front brakes on a single master would also have to be "upgraded".
Frank is the expert on this and I post the question to him to answer, is this possible/easy?
Is a wagon brake system an easy substitute as they are usually bigger all around?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 8:31pm
Possible, yes, easy, no. The brakes either have to be from the same axle, either AMC 15 or AMC 20.  Remember, Ivor is in England, so hard to find another AMC donor. Heck, it's not easy to find one over here any more!

Theoretically, they can come from any axle -- any make or even year. The backing plates and all would be needed. Bolt pattern isn't even a big issue -- drums can be drilled for a different pattern. The critical measurement is the offset from the axle flange where the backing plate bolts on and the mounting surface of the hub. Even if that's the same, there may be an offset in the drum itself -- that's how AMC made 2" and 2.5" wide drums fir the same axle. You may need the park brake cables from the donor axle as well, but that's the easy part. Might need a longer or shorter cable from the handle/pedal to the axle cables, or a custom balance bar, but if you get around everything else that would be easy! Here in the US we could probably adapt Ford truck/big rear drive car brakes easily, they are usually Bendix, similar to AMC Bendix brakes. Of course you may need to change to a different size wheel cylinder or use a proportioning valve in the rear brake line.

If the rear brakes are sized correctly a proportioning valve isn't needed, even with disc front/drum rear. Such valves were used in the 60s and 70s, but by the 80s brakes were balanced by size. Few modern cars use them, but some do due to extreme weight differences front to back or because the engineers wanted to use an existing part -- or economics dictated they had to. It's easier to dial in an adjustable valve than to get the size just right, especially when modifying and using existing parts.  You could use a proportioning valve to dial down the rear brakes and keep the same front brakes -- no upgrading required.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2017 at 5:03am
My 990 already has the 2.5" drums. Which is just as well, as AMCs of any variety are like hen's teeth over here, let alone parts cars.

I think the main problem, apart from it never being designed to pull 0.25G, is the umbrella handle - see in the pic, to the right and below the dash - and the 180 cable that goes around under the wheelarch. That's lot of extra friction.

I'll take it out and see what it does on the decelerometer. Then I'll know how much problem I've got.

Ivor

63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2017 at 7:58am
Well, you mirrored the photo...flip it back!!

Ok, I know it's a right hand drive export car...  The Belgian built "Renault Rambler" was always a Classic with Ambo trim IIRC (all except the things that say Ambo...). You do say it's a Canadian built car... so export from Brampton. Anyway, the US cars have a foot pedal operated park brake, it was easier/cheaper to use the "umbrella handle" on exports -- not high enough numbers to make a foot pedal assembly I guess.

Another thought... if you have an issue with getting enough power from the hand assembly, try finding a foot operated assembly from some other car. You'd have to find one that easily comes off and is pretty self contained, then figure out how to reinforce the Rambler to mount it though. So if increasing leverage will do the trick... At least this is a "plan B".
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic