TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What Will Safely Fit My Wheels?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by WhatISit WhatISit wrote:

I believe I have the 14x5.5" (or are they 14x6"?) wheels on my '74 Javelin AMX. Any idea on what the largest width tire is that I can fit on there without any issues? I talked to my dad, and he thinks 245 60-14's will fit on the rear, but I think that might be a little too wide and a little too tall. Any help? Thanks!

Just saw this.
I had 275/60-15 Mickey Thompson Sportsman Tires on 15"X 8" rallye  wheels on the back of my '71 Jav/AMX.
The Sportsman tires were 28" in diameter.
The car was also sat 3" lower than stock...they never rubbed!
So pretty much (within reason) the sky is the limit.

g-man

AMC only daily driver
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 1:01pm
IMO, your seemingly innocent question is more of an engineering issue therefore you should switch to stock 14 x 6 Javelin AMX 'volcano center' rally wheels and use 205 70 14 tires because your Javelin is a 'real' AMX having a lighter fiberglass hood which changes the vehicle's load/pressure on the tires. For this reason the stock AMX 14 x 6 'volcano center' rims and tires provide slightly more contact patch area to make up for the front of the vehicle having less weight than a standard Javelin.

Question like 'higher performance wheels?'' requires a much longer explanation...

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/22/2017 at 1:06pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 8:45pm
The rear tires, I'm a little less concerned about. I just know that if you get too wide or too tall on the front tires, they'll rub--and I want to avoid that at all cost. 

dlTowers: I've never seen one besides yours, either. I actually like the look of them, but they are somewhat limiting as far as which tires I can put on them. Even if they were 15's it would be an improvement.

As it stands now, I'm sure I won't be surpassing the limit of these tires, but it's something to think about for the future.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 7:08am
Tire diameter is the key -- if you want your speedo to read correctly. The aspect ratio (series) determines diameter along with section width. Yes, a 225/60 is shorter (smaller diameter) than a 225/70. The series number is a percentage of the width -- 60% of 225, 70% of 225, etc. So one affects the other.

I use the tire size and gear calculators at www.4lo.com because it's an easy site to remember. Ignore the "LT" (for light truck.. meaning the same as car tires in sizes) for the tire diameter, and put a "1" in the transfer case ratio (1:1 -- effectively no transfer case) in the gear selector. Figure out the diameter of the stock tire and stay within an inch (up or down) of that and your speedo will be within  1-3 mph of where it is now -- close enough for a 70s car.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic